Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Shifting Firefox To A Four-Week Release Cycle

Phoronix: Mozilla Shifting Firefox To A Four-Week Release Cycle

Mozilla announced today they are tightening up the Firefox release cycle even more... Expect to see new Firefox releases monthly...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thank god, we were starting to lag behind Chrome's version numbers. Suck it, Google!
    Last edited by AsuMagic; 17 September 2019, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Firefox just got dark theme support, really nice.
      Hope to see it get refined to include to auto-switch in the devtools too, and in about:debugging, about:home, and about:blank and other places too, now its just in aboutreferences and in some other places.
      It also recently got event debugging which seems really nice.

Comment

i wonder how disruptive that may be to people developing major features that take significantly longer to land.

i know how development workflow works, just wondering how you can get a major rework of a browser into shippable state with shorter and shorter release cycles.

Comment

They shouldn't do major releases that often. I don't truly agree with the "release early, release often" model.
          It gives developers less time to do quality assurance, and hence may yield more bugs.

People who want this model can just use the Developer Edition.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            I don't truly agree with the "release early, release often" model.
            It gives developers less time to do quality assurance, and hence may yield more bugs.
            Yeah, it seems like Mozilla wants more lab rats.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Yeah, it seems like Mozilla wants more lab rats.
              *inefficient lab rats (Average Joe doesn't know how to make good bug reports)

Do they even read the automatic crash reports?

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                i wonder how disruptive that may be to people developing major features that take significantly longer to land.

i know how development workflow works, just wondering how you can get a major rework of a browser into shippable state with shorter and shorter release cycles.
                They normally don't enable them by default and if you want to enable them you go to "about:config" page.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post

You do your major rework on a different branch until it's production ready, dependent features don't land until the 'rework' lands, and anything that does land in the middle releases gets merged forward into the rework. I don't see how it's that different than the major rework they're doing now that takes several versions to land (all the quantum stuff)

Comment

This is madness.

Comment

Working...
                    X