PulseAudio 13.0 Released With Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PulseAudio 13.0 Released With Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio Support

Phoronix: PulseAudio 13.0 Released With Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio Support

While PipeWire may be seeing a lot of investment by Red Hat for improving audio/video streams on Linux, PulseAudio isn't letting up yet as the de facto Linux desktop sound server. Quietly released last week was PulseAudio 13.0 as the newest feature update and their first big update in some fifteen months...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well that's cool and all, but did they fix the crackling sound issue yet? I bet not, I guess linux users are doomed to have unreliable audio. But at least we have dts-hd support, yay.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
      Well that's cool and all, but did they fix the crackling sound issue yet? I bet not, I guess linux users are doomed to have unreliable audio. But at least we have dts-hd support, yay.
      that is a kernel issue and 5.3 should fix it at minimum on amd systems(my intel system stopped doing it after the upgrade as well)

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Does this convert "F****CK" to "HUUUUUG" in real-time as well?

Just kidding.
        Last edited by tildearrow; 16 September 2019, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Does this new version fix a double JACK sink problem when JACK auto-start is enabled? (e.g. when I open some JACK application, it for some reason creates a sink named "PulseAudio JACK Sink-01" instead of just "PulseAudio JACK Sink")

Comment

Well that's cool and all, but did they fix the crackling sound issue yet?
            *Shrug* Works for me. If you're going to ask about an issue, maybe you should link to a bug report or other source so people know WTF you're talking about. "Crackling audio" is vague, considering that I've read plenty of reports of it over the years with different hardware. I doubt the symptom has one cause and one magic solution.

Comment

PulseAudio may have it's issues, but I'm willing to put more money on it being reliable than PipeWire. I just don't see how an audio/video framework managed by the guys that break 3rd party compatibility with every single point release was a good idea on paper, let alone in practice.

Comment

No, they didn't. Because this is a multitude of issues with the same symptom. For me, one of such issues was caused by unreliable headphone jack detection, so the audio was momentarily switched from headphones to non-existing speakers and back - later fixed in the kernel by disabling jack detection on this particular motherboard. For someone else, sound crackling during volume changes was caused by the fact that there are no rewindable resamplers, and a very clever hack with the history was added to compensate.

OTOH, this release finally fixes 5.1 audio for commonly used players such as mpv. For all these years, rear channels were receiving some mix between the intended front and intended rear!
                Last edited by patrakov; 16 September 2019, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                  PulseAudio may have it's issues, but I'm willing to put more money on it being reliable than PipeWire. I just don't see how an audio/video framework managed by the guys that break 3rd party compatibility with every single point release was a good idea on paper, let alone in practice.
                  I would bet on PipeWire, because they have learned from PulseAudio design mistakes and did not repeat them. E.g., they have side-stepped the whole issue of the audio routing and switching policy by moving it to a separate daemon. They eliminated the most serious source of untested and broken code, as wel as of crackling - rewinds (at the imaginary cost of more power consulption).

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    Does this new version fix a double JACK sink problem when JACK auto-start is enabled? (e.g. when I open some JACK application, it for some reason creates a sink named "PulseAudio JACK Sink-01" instead of just "PulseAudio JACK Sink")
                    dude, lay off - you are not "just kidding", stop lying to yourself. everything time there is a CoC mentioned you get bitter and sour.

Is there anything truly wrong with creating a welcoming environment? People tend to stick around if they like the place - more people bringing more ideas is only a good thing for OSS.

Comment

Working...
                    X