Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

*raises hand*
    For over 2 years, I've had to hear a faint hum in my audio jack that reacts to the graphics card and a 1000Hz timer.
    Oh come on, external DACs cost less than $20. Easy to fix this *hardware* issue.

Comment

Tried this on an Arch laptop. Works just fine. 100ms latency, both reported by Pulseaudio and measured. Perfectly reasonable for a normal desktop setup, mostly used to browse the web and youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Oh come on, external DACs cost less than $20. Easy to fix this *hardware* issue.
        I actually did buy a ~$29 external sound card back in 2015 to fix this issue when my older laptop (that died in 2016) didn't support JACK being a stupid Sound Blaster. It worked, except that I had to manually align the buffers until it didn't crackle.
        However, in 2019 this external sound card has problems:
        - Only 16-bit audio
        - There still is some noise to it (especially when recording)
        - The lowest volume is too loud for me
        - Higher latency because it was USB

I remember using a DJ controller as a sound card for a time since 4.13 broke my internal sound chip. It had absolutely no noise issues but very slightly increased latency...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I actually did buy a ~$29 external sound card back in 2015 to fix this issue when my older laptop (that died in 2016) didn't support JACK being a stupid Sound Blaster. It worked, except that I had to manually align the buffers until it didn't crackle.
          However, in 2019 this external sound card has problems:
          - Only 16-bit audio
          You can't hear the difference between 16 and 24 bits. Trust me. Even studio work uses more than 16 bits to improve the quality of filters and operations before the master release. For audio consumption, 16 bits is high enough. Philips did some research on this. Besides modern mainstream music uses excessive compression which means probably even 8 bits would be enough.

- There still is some noise to it (especially when recording)
          Ok, that may be impossible to fix.

- The lowest volume is too loud for me
          Use both hardware volume control and per-app PA volume control. The latter is done in software and allows pretty fine grained volume control.

- Higher latency because it was USB
          If you're recording music, you shouldn't be using PA. It's meant for normal, not DAW users.
          Last edited by caligula; 17 September 2019, 04:40 PM.

Comment

You can't hear the difference between 16 and 24 bits. Trust me. Even studio work uses more than 16 bits to improve the quality of filters and operations before the master release. For audio consumption, 16 bits is high enough. Philips did some research on this. Besides modern mainstream music uses excessive compression which means probably even 8 bits would be enough.
            By that statement I'd be using some wireless Bluetooth headphones which encode the audio in AAC and I wouldn't still hear a difference.

Furthermore, I don't listen to pop. Somebody should make a website in where you can buy music at elevated prices (e.g. $30 vs. $1.29) but mastered without any sort of compressor/limiter and at floating-point. Oh Kyary I love you

Ok, that may be impossible to fix.
            It is possible. The aforementioned DJ controller achieved it, and I am pretty sure many pro audio interfaces have done so too.

Use both hardware volume control and per-app PA volume control. The latter is done in software and allows pretty fine grained volume control.
            I'm using JACK.
            Furthermore, what if I reduce the volume by 50% in software? I'd only have 15 bits then

If you're recording music, you shouldn't be using PA. It's meant for normal, not DAW users.
            See above. I am not a normal user.
            I have been using JACK since 2015 and it has really worked out so well.
            Last edited by tildearrow; 17 September 2019, 05:17 PM. Reason: addendum

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
              oiaohmThe part about cannon fonder was really good one! Only religious person could bring something like that.
              No this is you not knowing your history. Cannon fodder is from the Art of War written by a non religious person.

However, I wouldn't allow my dumb teammates to become a cannon fonder. I would give them orders, so they could stay as safe as possible.
              This is still cannon fodder the art of war says train you commanders not to waste the cannon fodder. In your team you have a radio operator they need to be kept alive for coms because they are one of the smart ones. You unit will have a few lower grunts that are not as smart heck sometimes really dumb so they get used to protect the radio operator.

This is how it works in armies of civilized countries.
              The armies of most civilized countries are trained by the concepts of the old art of war. The art of war originally proposed making teams that were a mix of smart and canon fodder. It also tells you don't tell the unit commanders who in there unit is cannon fodder as it will automatically work it out under pressure.

[QUOTE=Volta;n1126557It's environment that shapes correct behavior not some artificial CoC. [/QUOTE]
              Really no the environment does not alone shape correct behaviour.

Like war is shaped by the environment, the old art of war tactics guide and rules like the Geneva conventions.

Furthermore, I mentioned christians and jews in positive way, so it seems your way dealing with emotions doesn't work as intended.
              Phoronix: PulseAudio 13.0 Released With Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio Support While PipeWire may be seeing a lot of investment by Red Hat for improving audio/video streams on Linux, PulseAudio isn't letting up yet as the de facto Linux desktop sound server. Quietly released last week was PulseAudio 13.0 as the newest

It's about fucking programming not some jewish christians meeting.
              You call that line being positive. This not positive. You are guessing how a christian Jewish meeting goes. It is everything from polite to total fireworks.

Now you want to censorship religion and don't allow religious people to talk about holocaust?
              I guess you call this being positive. I would advice against using the word holocaust in that way. My family lost complete sections in the Romani genocide/holocaust and this was not because of their religion this was basically genocide because their strong moral culture would not toe the Nazi line. The christian rule do unto others as you expect done to your resulted in the Romani being in death camps. Just because a person is religious does not mean they cannot be insulting as hell. You do see this from jewish a lot talking about the holocaust as if it was jewish only totally ignoring all the other people the killed just because it was convent.

The jewish got a money and a location to settle after the war but the Romani and other groups got nothing including not being written into history books for a long time. Yes all were killed in the same death camps by the same laws. The holocaust is a very painful point the jewish religion does not require them to tell the stories of those who are non jewish so a very religious jew can be very offensive talking about the holocaust to people like me as they go and talk as if my relations never existed and this is perfectly correct by jewish religion.

Lets just say the holocaust is a very painful point for a lot of people and should not be used lightly or talked about carelessly.

Another thing is there are people for whom religion is a big part of their life. Do you want to shut their mouths and tell them their religion have nothing to do with coding or CoC? You're simply mistaken.
              Religion is a big part of my life. But with my history I understand how religion can make you bias. Coding is facts not faith. When writing code or history your religion should not be a factor or used as major guide. Being generally respective of others no matter the religion is way more important.

Most religions are bias to their own members and this is a bad thing this is what has screwed up history books over the holocaust and we don't need coding screwed up the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                as an user or a developer i don't care at all if contributors are nice, their sexual/political/religious/race views, i don't care about their skin, their health or really anything else about them at all as long as their code/design/proposal is better(it is that simple).
                Lot of ways the CoC is don't talk about a list of stuff you really don't care about.

if a really nice sensible guy with all the right views give me an average quality code and some white supremacist homophobic asshole with every shitty view possible to have give me some outstanding awesome quality code that is the one i will take hands down, without a second thought. Sure i don't share his views at all but his work is quantifiable better and that is all that matter since (in this particular case) code doesn't have views, its just code.
                The code quality does not end up awesome if that horrible person ends up using their bias point of view to like name functions, writting crap in comments.

Also those CoC are mostly focused on the views of the US and some EU "extra sensitive" countries have this days but outside those places the number of people that share those views are very small and for most of us is pretty far from "common sense". (yes i'm not in the US or the EU) talking in this context(in other contexts we may have common grounds)
                Have you not read the CoC

In the interest of fostering an open and welcoming environment, we as contributors and maintainers pledge to making participation in our project and our community a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of age, body size, disability, ethnicity, sex characteristics, gender identity and expression, level of experience, education, socio-economic status, nationality, personal appearance, race, religion, or sexual identity and orientation.

This bit if you read carefully says you don't care if a person is a "white supremacist homophobic asshole with every shitty view possible" as long as they don't bring that crap into the coding debates. Really those view have nothing todo with coding so the CoC restrictions should not be any problem right. Harassment-free experience for everyone means exactly that list of regardless means everyone in the CoC includes "white supremacist homophobic asshole with every shitty view possible" as long as they can keep on point of coding.

Really read over the CoC little bit more carefully because everything you wrote is exactly what the CoC in fact says just written in USA legal.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Calling a discussion about something a "christian jewish" meeting and then saying in a following sentence that those you disagree with should be burned is not discussing the holocaust or religion in any shape or form. it's using stereotypes about religion as an insult followed up with felony assault.

That's one of the most retarded moving of the goal posts I've come across in a while
                  It wasn't a stereotype. Originally I only meant jewish christians meeting are calm and nice as the opposite to coding discussions. Then I realized I am attacked for being nice, so no more cookies for such people. Furthermore, I really hate stupid and anti-human religions, so no more playing CoC follower.

Comment

oiaohm
                    I know where it comes from. However, what I meant is you giving example of what to do with poor dumb people in context of CoC. You would send them to hell, but they will be happy, because they won't feel offended. I'll reply you tommorow, because it's getting even more interesting.

PS. holocaust is a burning sacrifice and it has the same meaning after WW2. Only smart people know why.

Comment

oiaohmI know where it comes from. However, what I meant is you giving example of what to do with poor dumb people in context of CoC.
                      Its also a good example of why something like a CoC is kind of required people talking about item holocaust can turn into one hell of a flame fest wasting everyone time.

You would send them to hell, but they will be happy, because they won't feel offended.
                      Romani Christian we believe there is a low risk that anyone will end up in hell. Good Samaritan is kind of a miss translation it should be Good Sumerian this is a very important mistake. Sumerians were not Christian or Jewish there was a question if they could go to heaven in the bible and the answer was yes as long as they lived a good life. There are other mistakes in the English translations fairly much every case that says you don't need to be Christian/Jewish to get into heaven has been translation error out or completely deleted from current day translations used by most Christian churches use. God is the ultimate recycling person. Heck hell is a miss translation for a burning garbage dump/Gehenna. Yes Gehanna is in fact a reference physical location near Jerusalem called today the Valley of Hinnom. So hell is not a very big place at all once you remove all the translation errors and see exactly what is referring to so. Hell is going to make being in third class on a Indian train in peak hour look plenty of space because hell is in fact small so you are not only on fire in hell you are massive over stuffed in there.

This is a tip of a very big iceberg of differences between my type of Christian and the type most people know. The differences is why Romani Christians had very big problem between with Nazi ideas.

My type of Christian attempt to treat everyone well because we understand in the after life we are most likely not getting away from anyone.

PS. holocaust is a burning sacrifice and it has the same meaning after WW2. Only smart people know why.
                      Yes the dictionary defined meaning as not changed. But this has not made any difference that the Romani deaths had to be called genocide because the world holocaust for a long time was only for jewish deaths in world war II so completely breaking the dictionary meaning.

There is a lot problems around the way holocaust as a word has been used and it does lead to flame fests between people who don't understand the issues.

Comment

Working...
                      X