PulseAudio 13.0 Released With Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post

It doesn't create a "welcoming environment" it creates a toxic environment where everyone walks on egg shells because they're afraid some lunatic is gonna go after their livelihood, etc etc. This is nothing but a power grab by useless people who can't make anything themselves, so they latch onto projects and slowly ruin them
    Alternative view: People who are toxic feel that they are no longer welcomed. (Note: this also goes for the people who are being toxic by going down this path that you are describing)

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
      PulseAudio may have it's issues, but I'm willing to put more money on it being reliable than PipeWire. I just don't see how an audio/video framework managed by the guys that break 3rd party compatibility with every single point release was a good idea on paper, let alone in practice.
      Oh, don't worry, like Wayland it will be ready within just 15 years.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
        (The) big thing to remember is that Lennart Poettering other (than) pulseaudio has no other real audio development history and he is the one who designed the core of pulseaudio.
        IIRC, he contributed to ALSA/libasound before starting pulseaudio (polypaudio back then).

Comment

I hope the path to Pipewire stability won't be a repeat of the Pulseaudio path.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

Alternative view: People who are toxic feel that they are no longer welcomed. (Note: this also goes for the people who are being toxic by going down this path that you are describing)
            It's about fucking programming not some jewish christians meeting. If they're toxic and good programmers it's a win. Nice people without coding skills should be burnt with fire in such places.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

It's about fucking programming not some jewish christians meeting. If they're toxic and good programmers it's a win. Nice people without coding skills should be burnt with fire in such places.
              Again, I am in with a different view. Programming is a skill that can be taught and not everyone on a project needs to be able to write code to contribute.

I would rather have a diverse group of nice people around me all pulling in the same direction rather than have a single toxic programmer, no matter their skill level. Not having to deal with toxic BS improves the quality of life of everyone involved, keeps people coming back and you end up with a successful project that attracts more useful people.

now, given your response I would wager that you are one of the people feeling butt hurt about CoCs because you are a toxic programmer.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

You give the perfect example why CoCs are needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post

You give the perfect example why CoCs are needed.
                  I wouldn't follow them. This is the point you don't get it. And I won't follow them, because I hate idiots and I won't be kind to them and I won't develop any relations with dumb people. Except in different areas like sport where being smart is not always necessary.

Comment

boxie
                    I partially agree with you, but in the mentioned CoC there were more points than needed. If someone tries to force me to be nice it works opposite. I'm nice, because it's natural and welcomed behavior in my case (if I'm not forced to work with dumb people - and dealing with them takes more time and energy than dealing with toxic, but intelligent people), but when I see such regulations they're making me bad. From time to time people have to explode their emotions, so everything goes to normal level. If you're forced to 'be nice' it can drove you mad.
                    Last edited by Volta; 17 September 2019, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                      IIRC, he contributed to ALSA/libasound before starting pulseaudio (polypaudio back then).
                      That was not a proper development history understanding from application to output. If you look at those contribution to ALSA by Lennart Poettering they were basically working along the same lines of getting the desktop environments play ball with each other. I am not exactly sure when Lennart got the order to deal with the problem.

Wim Taymans has the broad experience. Finding the right project lead is also hard..

Comment

Working...
                      X