PulseAudio 13.0 Released With Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boxie View Post

dude, lay off - you are not "just kidding", stop lying to yourself. everything time there is a CoC mentioned you get bitter and sour.

Is there anything truly wrong with creating a welcoming environment? People tend to stick around if they like the place - more people bringing more ideas is only a good thing for OSS.
    This is the final CoC-related comment in this thread.

I'll just quote this post:

Originally posted by icewater View Post
    Originally posted by CoC
    those contributing should use welcoming and inclusive language, be respectful to others, showing empathy towards others, avoid insulting comments, and avoid inappropriate conduct. For the most part, it's basically common sense.
    No. No, it's not common sense to require "empathy" and the use of "welcoming and inclusive" language on a software project. This is materially different from prohibiting abusive language.

Originally posted by CoC
    But free, libre, and open source projects suffer from a startling lack of diversity, with dramatically low representation by women, people of color, and other marginalized populations.
    [...]
    Part of this problem lies with the very structure of some projects: the use of insensitive language, thoughtless use of pronouns, assumptions of gender, and even sexualized or culturally insensitive names.
    Yeah, no, I don't that has anything to do with it.

This corporate rule-setting mindset is a cancer in software development.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Yeah, nobody cares.

Comment

dude, lay off - you are not "just kidding", stop lying to yourself. everything time there is a CoC mentioned you get bitter and sour.

Is there anything truly wrong with creating a welcoming environment? People tend to stick around if they like the place - more people bringing more ideas is only a good thing for OSS.
        CoC's create a welcoming environment just like Communism creates an economic utopia.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Yeah, nobody cares.
          If nobody cared you wouldn't have replied in the first place, and nobody would have liked the post.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
            PulseAudio may have it's issues, but I'm willing to put more money on it being reliable than PipeWire. I just don't see how an audio/video framework managed by the guys that break 3rd party compatibility with every single point release was a good idea on paper, let alone in practice.
            Long term I really would not be 100 percent sure of that bet. Audio/Video in one framework is more coming a require feature. Think audio over hdmi and display port this means you audio and graphics have to go dependably out via GPU.

This is not take account of the design mistakes pipewire can avoid.

Really you must not have read who the lead developer of pipewire is.

He is from Fluendo and gstreamer development these are things that did not break 3rd party compatibility with every release point release. For stability of API/ABI and quality the lead of pipewire has a solid track record.

Now the question is more is the idea of merging video/audio stacks a functional idea. Please note this is including low latency audio like jack in the mix. If it is a good idea pipewire will win out.

Mirror of the PipeWire repository (see https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire/pipewire/) - Contributors to PipeWire/pipewire

There is a problem when you look at this page that a single developer is doing 90%+ of the work. But the same was true with pulseaudio with Lennart Poettering big thing to remember is that Lennart Poettering other pulseaudio has no other real audio development history and he is the one who designed the core of pulseaudio.

You want to get a prototype of the ground against major resistance give to Lennart Poettering. You want quality work give it to someone like Wim Taymans who has the relevant track-record and experience.

Lennart Poettering has done the job of getting most of the graphic environments on the same page for sound server. Its now hopefully Wim Taymans job to give as the replacement to Lennart Poettering prototype pulseaudio that in fact works and covers all usage cases properly.

I really wish this development model of a prototype to unify that developer gets abused to hell then doing it that get replaced latter was not the model lot of the open source world has to-do. You really don't want to put the most skilled for the job in the unifying flame fest because they may quit their job.

Comment

If nobody cared you wouldn't have replied in the first place, and nobody would have liked the post.
              I don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post

CoC's create a welcoming environment just like Communism creates an economic utopia.
                So far it has served me well to work in a welcoming environment. There are codes of conduct everywhere in life, for the most part they work well.

Comment

Unfortunately I do not share these views with you. Being nice to people and not being an horrible tends to come naturally to me - so for me - it is common sense!

as for rules being a cancer (which is essentially what is that statement is) may I remind you that we all follow rules in our lives. Whether they be self imposed (not drinking, smoking), those of a workplace or those of a government (local/state/national).

While anarchy might seem appealing when everyone swims in the same direction, people all have different motivations and knowing where the boundaries are helps people interact.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post

lol - everyone equal - just some pigs are more equal than others!

Communism as a concept (just like anarchy) works well in theory, but terribly in practice because humans have other ideas.

Comment

It doesn't create a "welcoming environment" it creates a toxic environment where everyone walks on egg shells because they're afraid some lunatic is gonna go after their livelihood, etc etc. This is nothing but a power grab by useless people who can't make anything themselves, so they latch onto projects and slowly ruin them

Comment

Working...
                      X