X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volta
    replied
    oiaohm
    Nice theory, but in practice it's a little different. Army example doesn't stand, because dumb people have no place in special forces. In regular army they're dominated by smarter soldiers. I wasn't talking about incompetence, but about being dumb. Two different things. If someone is dumb right now he will bring a risk to entire squad. The same when comes to programming. Company may loose a lot of money, because of him. If you're too nice to him then he may not have enough motivation to become smarter (if possible) or change a job. You can of course criticize someone politely, but being forced to show empathy and being respectful is too much. When someone accuses you of bad driving (and it's his fault) are you saying: ok, I'm sorry, won't happen again? Then in your home you're dealing with your emotions: what a fucking dumb shit, it was his fault? What's more funny it's me who's against dumb CoC, but my answers didn't offend anyone personally in this thread. This is why CoC make people hypocrites.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by Volta View Post
    I wouldn't follow them. This is the point you don't get it. And I won't follow them, because I hate idiots and I won't be kind to them and I won't develop any relations with dumb people. Except in different areas like sport where being smart is not always necessary.
    Really you are a idiot here.

boxie
    I partially agree with you, but in the mentioned CoC there were more points than needed. If someone tries to force me to be nice it works opposite. I'm nice, because it's natural and welcomed behavior in my case (if I'm not forced to work with dumb people - and dealing with them takes more time and energy than dealing with toxic, but intelligent people), but when I see such regulations they're making me bad. From time to time people have to explode their emotions, so everything goes to normal level. If you're forced to 'be nice' it can drove you mad.
    This proves you are more of a idiot.

You are forgetting something so basic. You no more than ripples on the surface of a pond. Everyone is promoted to the point they are incompetent. Dealing with incompetent people is part of life like it or not. A dumb person today could be the person who few years have learnt their job and is now highly competent.

Needing to rant and deal with your emotions does not mean you have to do it on a public mailing list. If being forced to be nice when dealing with your coworkers and this drives you mad you are most likely to have poor stress management and would die from that anyhow. Yes going insane from being nice and end up in a mental hospital would extend your life in 99% of cases this has in fact been studied by different armed forces into human behaviours.

Its funny enough forced to be nice or forced to be nasty both can make a person mentally ill if they don't have good stress management. Lack of good stress management takes decades off your life. So yes military training is designed to weed this personal faults out.

So CoC added to the Linux kernel should extend the life span of the Linux kernel maintainers. There is upside to having to be nice.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post
    IIRC, he contributed to ALSA/libasound before starting pulseaudio (polypaudio back then).
    That was not a proper development history understanding from application to output. If you look at those contribution to ALSA by Lennart Poettering they were basically working along the same lines of getting the desktop environments play ball with each other. I am not exactly sure when Lennart got the order to deal with the problem.

Wim Taymans has the broad experience. Finding the right project lead is also hard..

Leave a comment:

• Volta
    replied
    boxie
    I partially agree with you, but in the mentioned CoC there were more points than needed. If someone tries to force me to be nice it works opposite. I'm nice, because it's natural and welcomed behavior in my case (if I'm not forced to work with dumb people - and dealing with them takes more time and energy than dealing with toxic, but intelligent people), but when I see such regulations they're making me bad. From time to time people have to explode their emotions, so everything goes to normal level. If you're forced to 'be nice' it can drove you mad.
    Last edited by Volta; 17 September 2019, 05:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Volta
    replied
    Originally posted by Tuxee View Post

You give the perfect example why CoCs are needed.
    I wouldn't follow them. This is the point you don't get it. And I won't follow them, because I hate idiots and I won't be kind to them and I won't develop any relations with dumb people. Except in different areas like sport where being smart is not always necessary.

Leave a comment:

• Tuxee
    replied

It's about fucking programming not some jewish christians meeting. If they're toxic and good programmers it's a win. Nice people without coding skills should be burnt with fire in such places.
    You give the perfect example why CoCs are needed.

Leave a comment:

• boxie
    replied

It's about fucking programming not some jewish christians meeting. If they're toxic and good programmers it's a win. Nice people without coding skills should be burnt with fire in such places.
    Again, I am in with a different view. Programming is a skill that can be taught and not everyone on a project needs to be able to write code to contribute.

I would rather have a diverse group of nice people around me all pulling in the same direction rather than have a single toxic programmer, no matter their skill level. Not having to deal with toxic BS improves the quality of life of everyone involved, keeps people coming back and you end up with a successful project that attracts more useful people.

now, given your response I would wager that you are one of the people feeling butt hurt about CoCs because you are a toxic programmer.

Leave a comment:

• Volta
    replied
    Originally posted by boxie View Post

Alternative view: People who are toxic feel that they are no longer welcomed. (Note: this also goes for the people who are being toxic by going down this path that you are describing)

Leave a comment:

• Slartifartblast
    replied
    I hope the path to Pipewire stability won't be a repeat of the Pulseaudio path.

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    (The) big thing to remember is that Lennart Poettering other (than) pulseaudio has no other real audio development history and he is the one who designed the core of pulseaudio.
    IIRC, he contributed to ALSA/libasound before starting pulseaudio (polypaudio back then).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X