No announcement yet.

KDE's KWin Options UI Improved, Various Other Enhancements During Akademy Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's KWin Options UI Improved, Various Other Enhancements During Akademy Week

Phoronix: KDE's KWin Options UI Improved, Various Other Enhancements During Akademy Week

KDE's annual Akademy developer conference took place this past week in Milan, Italy. But even with that in-person event the development of the KDE desktop environment didn't let up in landing new improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    So many wayland compositors. So little progress.
    That's possibly why there is little progress - efforts are too spread out, unlike with X where it's all one focused effort. Compositors should have worked out a wider area common codebase to mitigate this. May be something like wlroots.

Comment

I agree. Under X land, we have big-name compositors/window managers: KWin, GNOME Shell, Xfwm4, Compton, Compiz, and so on.
      Wayland is a land of way too many experimental compositors: Weston, Sway, Orbital, Way Cooler, Motorcar, Cage, etc.

Why???

Comment

What happened when you told users in a Gnome thread to stick to that topic and not talk about KDE there? Why don't you follow your own advice, Griffin/GhostOfFunk? Oh that's right, but all you're good for is trolling about Gnome. Keep it up, and that will be a third account that will be banned here.

Comment

Originally posted by sa666666 View Post

What happened when you told users in a Gnome thread to stick to that topic and not talk about KDE there? Why don't you follow your own advice, Griffin/GhostOfFunk? Oh that's right, but all you're good for is trolling about Gnome. Keep it up, and that will be a third account that will be banned here.
          Yeah, I agree too. He writes lots of GNOME propaganda, although not as bad as Griffin/GOF/Mentalist.

And also, what I wrote on the other thread was just ONE freaking comment. It wasn't like I'd continue talking about KDE in a GNOME thread!!

144Hz please keep the GNOME talk to a minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I agree. Under X land, we have big-name compositors/window managers: KWin, GNOME Shell, Xfwm4, Compton, Compiz, and so on.
            Wayland is a land of way too many experimental compositors: Weston, Sway, Orbital, Way Cooler, Motorcar, Cage, etc.

Why???
            side projects / people learning?
            I see no problem with people experimenting and playing around.

I see the bigger desktops having their own wayland implementations - simply because they started before WL_ROOTS. Smaller/less resourced DE's will probably use mir/wl_roots as the basis.

In time the number of active projects will drop.

Comment

Why???
              A "compositor" in Xorg-speech is "Window Manager", and there are literally a few dozens. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Window_manager

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                That's possibly why there is little progress - efforts are too spread out, unlike with X where it's all one focused effort. Compositors should have worked out a wider area common codebase to mitigate this. May be something like wlroots.
                I agree on this, just a minor clarification for others: X was a focused effort but it was locked to its own X protocol specification. This blocked any real progress.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  A "compositor" in Xorg-speech is "Window Manager", and there are literally a few dozens. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Window_manager
                  When I say " Window Manager" I refer to a boring non-compositing window manager.
                  When I say "Compositor" I refer to an awesome compositing window manager.

Comment

When I say " Window Manager" I refer to a boring non-compositing window manager.
                    When I say "Compositor" I refer to an awesome compositing window manager.
                    Please use different nomeclature, the names you are using are already taken.

A "window manager" in Xorg is a "compositor" in Wayland.

Being a "compositor" has nothing to do with wobbly windows and 3D effects, it has to do with the fact that the window manager is taking over the X server's role of rendering the desktop (which is what Wayland protocol expects at the end, as there is no more a "server" to do the final rendering).

Yes you can run a compositor on X too, and in that case you have Xorg that is basically just receiving rendered frames to show (and is 99% useless).

Being a "compositor" isn't terribly harder than being a "window manager", so you can have dozens of either, they will be minimal or simple or tiling, in most cases.

The issue is with migrating old, fancy and large WM/Compositors like Mutter, Kwin and Enlightenment. Also with migrating Mir to Wayland. It's not a coincidence that Compiz (a famous compositor back in the day) died off. They simply didn't have the momentum of a larger DE behind them.

And you see how glacial is the pace of even larger DE's development.

Comment

Working...
                    X