Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE's KWin Options UI Improved, Various Other Enhancements During Akademy Week

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • KDE's KWin Options UI Improved, Various Other Enhancements During Akademy Week

    Phoronix: KDE's KWin Options UI Improved, Various Other Enhancements During Akademy Week

    KDE's annual Akademy developer conference took place this past week in Milan, Italy. But even with that in-person event the development of the KDE desktop environment didn't let up in landing new improvements...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...demy-2019-Week

  • #2
    So many wayland compositors. So little progress.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      So many wayland compositors. So little progress.
      That's possibly why there is little progress - efforts are too spread out, unlike with X where it's all one focused effort. Compositors should have worked out a wider area common codebase to mitigate this. May be something like wlroots.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        So many wayland compositors. So little progress.
        I agree. Under X land, we have big-name compositors/window managers: KWin, GNOME Shell, Xfwm4, Compton, Compiz, and so on.
        Wayland is a land of way too many experimental compositors: Weston, Sway, Orbital, Way Cooler, Motorcar, Cage, etc.

        Why???

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          So many wayland compositors. So little progress.
          What happened when you told users in a Gnome thread to stick to that topic and not talk about KDE there? Why don't you follow your own advice, Griffin/GhostOfFunk? Oh that's right, but all you're good for is trolling about Gnome. Keep it up, and that will be a third account that will be banned here.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by sa666666 View Post

            What happened when you told users in a Gnome thread to stick to that topic and not talk about KDE there? Why don't you follow your own advice, Griffin/GhostOfFunk? Oh that's right, but all you're good for is trolling about Gnome. Keep it up, and that will be a third account that will be banned here.
            Yeah, I agree too. He writes lots of GNOME propaganda, although not as bad as Griffin/GOF/Mentalist.

            And also, what I wrote on the other thread was just ONE freaking comment. It wasn't like I'd continue talking about KDE in a GNOME thread!!

            144Hz please keep the GNOME talk to a minimum.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

              I agree. Under X land, we have big-name compositors/window managers: KWin, GNOME Shell, Xfwm4, Compton, Compiz, and so on.
              Wayland is a land of way too many experimental compositors: Weston, Sway, Orbital, Way Cooler, Motorcar, Cage, etc.

              Why???
              side projects / people learning?
              I see no problem with people experimenting and playing around.

              I see the bigger desktops having their own wayland implementations - simply because they started before WL_ROOTS. Smaller/less resourced DE's will probably use mir/wl_roots as the basis.

              In time the number of active projects will drop.

              Comment


              • #8
                sa666666 tildearrow it’s very confusing You guys initiate discussions on ***** and the ask me to keep it to a minimum. I got no further comments on your super off topic stuff. Back to kwin please!

                Kwin clearly suffers from lack of (real) progress. More unquantified “improvements” and low value effort keeps pushing wayland further into the future.

                The fragmentation is so bad we might end up with more compositors than music players.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  I agree. Under X land, we have big-name compositors/window managers: KWin, GNOME Shell, Xfwm4, Compton, Compiz, and so on.
                  Wayland is a land of way too many experimental compositors: Weston, Sway, Orbital, Way Cooler, Motorcar, Cage, etc.

                  Why???
                  A "compositor" in Xorg-speech is "Window Manager", and there are literally a few dozens. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Window_manager

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                    That's possibly why there is little progress - efforts are too spread out, unlike with X where it's all one focused effort. Compositors should have worked out a wider area common codebase to mitigate this. May be something like wlroots.
                    I agree on this, just a minor clarification for others: X was a focused effort but it was locked to its own X protocol specification. This blocked any real progress.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X