No announcement yet.

GNOME Shell + Mutter Patches Pending For Wayland Fullscreen Compositing Bypass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Shell + Mutter Patches Pending For Wayland Fullscreen Compositing Bypass

Phoronix: GNOME Shell + Mutter Patches Pending For Wayland Fullscreen Compositing Bypass

There's an exciting patch set to GNOME Shell and Mutter now pending for finally wiring up the full-screen unredirected display / full-screen bypass compositing for helping the performance of full-screen games in particular on Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great news! I hope it doesn't cause to many new issues. Some apps are problematic with the way they handle fullscreen compositing bypass, and switching to Wayland was always a convenient workaround for me in these cases

Comment

Well lets hope it lands before the next release in march.. then Fedora can benefit first.

Comment

I don't think this is 3.34 material, but lets see. The good thing here is that things work quite differently from the classical X11 bypassing code, it's just about how things are handled internally in the compositor. So it should be much more solid, e.g. no tearing etc. Slowly the advantages of Wayland become more obvious.

Comment

Very nice, but will this also work for xwayland windows? If not, it's usefulness would be rather limited, since all games on wine and the vast majority of native games only run under X(-wayland).

Comment

Originally posted by Masush5 View Post
            since all games on wine only run under X(-wayland).
            Is wine ever going to fix this?
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Is wine ever going to fix this?
              I don't know. Last i heard was, that wayland is missing some functionallity to implement all win32 behaviour but i don't know if that was/is the case.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
                I don't think this is 3.34 material, but lets see. The good thing here is that things work quite differently from the classical X11 bypassing code, it's just about how things are handled internally in the compositor. So it should be much more solid, e.g. no tearing etc. Slowly the advantages of Wayland become more obvious.
                Emphasis on slowly. IMHO desktop distros should have long ago pushed X11 into deprecation, even with Wayland not being a full replacement (thus raising the urgency to work on the missing parts). This slow trickle of features that have been there from the start is killing me, and at the same time there are flaws discovered (Wayland Zombie Apocalypse) which wont be fixed at their origin.

Comment

Originally posted by Masush5 View Post

I don't know. Last i heard was, that wayland is missing some functionallity to implement all win32 behaviour but i don't know if that was/is the case.
                  Win32 popup menus use exact screen co-ordinates. Wayland uses relative co-ordinates to the parent window (which is for the better).

For games this really does not matter, they rarely use popup menus if at all. For applications, I presume the solution would be some sort of translation from exact -> relative co-ordinates.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
                    Well lets hope it lands before the next release in march.. then Fedora can benefit first.
                    I suspect these will be in 3.34.1.

No real reason to think that and no one has suggested it but over the last few release cycles some work has gone in after final release and before the focus has shiften on to the new cycle.

Comment

Working...
                    X