Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.34 Released With Its Many Performance Improvements & Better Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by retardxfce View Post

You dont have an actual argument why there shouldnt be thumbnails in the filepicker except for non arguments like "waah mac does it too" and "gnome devs said I dont need it and they must be right" . at least KDE lets you chose between list view (like gnome) and thumbnail view.
    I said none of that. I said it's unnecessary for the task the user is trying to accomplish and it's needless UI clutter. (and thats pretty typical for KDE/Windows, non-minimal design) I'm speaking UI design here. Not strawman.

It's alright if you like that design. Like I said before, lots of old OS's has it. (XFCE is similar to Gnome)
    Last edited by k1e0x; 13 September 2019, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
      btw.. When you think they going to ban you again? lol
      He's not debianxfce. He/she is (or was) a parody account of debianxfce.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

He's not debianxfce. He/she is (or was) a parody account of debianxfce.
        It's a convincing act.. lol

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

I said none of that. I said it's unnecessary for the task the user is trying to accomplish and it's needless UI clutter. (and thats pretty typical for KDE/Windows, non-minimal design) I'm speaking UI design here. Not strawman.

It's alright if you like that design. Like I said before, lots of old OS's has it. (XFCE is similar to Gnome)
          Again these mental gymnastics. Clutter and minimalist design? What do gnome users know about design , absolutely nothing. There is a difference between minimalist design and removing option for the sake of it.
          the task the user is trying to accomplish? It's clear to me that you have never used s filepicker or don't use it often, so you have no idea how it's being used. The task most users want to accomplish requires thumbnails.

Comment

To easily verify how broken Mutter's vsync on Wayland is, play a video with mpv in xwayland fullscreen --video-sync=display-resample --interpolation and enable its statistics OSD via Shift + i: Regular vsync jitter jumps by +0.1, causing mistimed frame presentation.
            Do the same on Plasma Wayland: constantly low vsync jitter with perfect frame timing.

Gnome devs: How is this still possible?
            And in your presentation video you show the improved performance of the "show all programs" starter menu. What you don't show is that it makes the mouse cursor hang each time when you click that button on Wayland.

-> still technical preview character

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
              To easily verify how broken Mutter's vsync on Wayland is, play a video with mpv in xwayland fullscreen --video-sync=display-resample --interpolation
              Why would you use `--interpolation`?

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post
                Why would you use `--interpolation`?
                To make video fps and refreshrate match in case they don't. It doesn't make any difference though when video fps equals refreshrate or a divisor of it.

Comment

Working...
                X