Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.34 Released With Its Many Performance Improvements & Better Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
    I use Gnome daily and have since the 1.x era. (Including Ximian Gnome) ... FreeBSD currently has 3.28 released Mar 14 2018, thanks to trouble non systemd OS's have back porting out systemd speific dependencies (Hey Gnome team, are you a Linux only desktop or are you a cross platform one like.. KDE, MATE, XFCE, LXQt and every other DE out there?)
    The point here is rather: when will the BSD people offer something with similar power like systemd? The reason why the gnome people make more and more use of it is not that it's shine and exclusive, but that it brings much needed functionality. For example session management: before 3.34, the shell had its own dependency management to start everything needed in the right order. Now they let systemd do that, which does the job much better because it is actually designed for it (complex dependency management). That's called KISS. Instead of heaving to implement everything over and over again, have one component do it right.

I can only recommend this video from a FreeBSD developer about systemd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_AIw9bGogo
    And here is the GUADEC talk about user session management: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdwi3NWAW7I

Comment

Originally posted by rastersoft View Post

I just use Alt+number to quick change the current virtual desktop, so I always have the desktop icons at hand.
      Hey! I do the same thing - best set of shortcuts there is

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post

I agree. Especially on a laptop, I have really learned to appreciate using the hotkeys to launch apps and move windows left/right/min/max. I now even hide the dock in Ubuntu and have cleaned up my desktop, since the icons were a hassle to reach anyway.
        HOWEVER, after having used Unity, I think Gnome is wasteful with vertical screen space. Therefore the Unite extension is essential for me to get an efficient full screen experience.
        If vertical space is your problem, try the Hide Top Bar extension. It's one of the 2 non-included extensions I always need in Gnome for workflow, the other being Workspace Matrix. I do use 4/5 extra extensions but those are app related (like GsConnect, Freon, Gamemode, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by retardxfce View Post
          And unfortunately still no proper filepicker like on KDE, windows, Mac
          I've used Nautilus since it was commercial software. I don't think it is the best file manager, tho it isn't bad. My prefrence is (in no order) Nautilus, Thunar, PCmanFM-Qt, and Deepin File Manager. (Honorable mention are some like Sunflower) - The worst of any OS are in order Finder (Mac), Dolphin (Plasma) and Explorer (Windows). Far too many needless options. I wouldn't be surprised to see "compress files into self extracting mp4 sildeshow and send to one of your contacts over ham radio" In Dolphin.
          Last edited by k1e0x; 13 September 2019, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by retardxfce View Post
            And unfortunately still no proper filepicker like on KDE, windows, Mac
            File picker? What do you mean? Like Dolphin?

If so then there's Nautilus?

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
              Try installing Solaris 11.3 and see for yourself what peak GNOME2 UX performance looks like.
              Just made an experiment using a modern distro. Obviously the performance is excellent. It seems (i'm not sure) ye old nautilus drew the desktop icons onto the screen avoiding any canvas (this is the reason why any gtk3 solutions is really slow, and the reason why Gnome 3 doesn't have any desktop icons).

Comment

Imho Cinnamon DE is much better

Comment

Gnome's philosophy has always been to get out of the users way and let them focus on whatever app or job they are trying to accomplish.
                  Then I wonder why their launcher is against this philosophy?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

File picker? What do you mean? Like Dolphin?

If so then there's Nautilus?
                    There is no proper way to select files in gnome.

Filepicker in Gnome.

Filepicker in windows

Filepicker in KDE
                    Last edited by retardxfce; 13 September 2019, 05:08 AM.

Comment

I've used Nautilus since it was commercial software. I don't think it is the best file manager, tho it isn't bad. My prefrence is (in no order) Nautilus, Thunar, PCmanFM-Qt, and Deepin File Manager. (Honorable mention are some like Sunflower) - The worst of any OS are in order Finder (Mac), Dolphin (Plasma) and Explorer (Windows). Far too many needless options. I wouldn't be surprised to see "compress files into self extracting mp4 sildeshow and send to one of your contacts over ham radio" In Dolphin.
                      See above. Gnome lacks basic features such as thumbnail support in its filepicker.

​​​​​​https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=141154&
                      Last edited by retardxfce; 13 September 2019, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X