Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.34 Released With Its Many Performance Improvements & Better Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And unfortunately still no proper filepicker like on KDE, windows, Mac

Comment

does wayland work with the nvidia binary driver yet?
      Yes, yes, I know.... My next GPU might be AMD, but for now, it's Nvidia, as I previously played a lot of games on Steam, and Nvidia was historically better.

Comment

Originally posted by JMB9 View Post

I have not seen videos about KDE Plasma, but having seen the new GNOME video I really wonder what should attract a real computer user?
        Some wild clicking, nothing like a desktop where one can really work, and what the speaker says does not fit to what is seen on the screen.
        The first impression was it is just for smartphones ... but if this kind of video can appeal I understand why many people here don't see any use for higher resolution like 8k or 16k.
        It is much to short to be an introductory - and what was possible with Compiz years ago was eye catching - I could not even say that it was pleasant in any way what was shown today (so many years later). Maybe I do miss something - or is this just for current GNOME users directly spotting the improvements?

Flashes. Elaborate effects. Swift, short and concise. Cubic/quartic splines and no linear animation.
        Motion blur. (you can't do that with open-source.)

Anything that would make a normal human think "woooow this is cool".
        Last edited by tildearrow; 12 September 2019, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
          I can say the workflow is excellent. Gnome's philosophy has always been to get out of the users way and let them focus on whatever app or job they are trying to accomplish.. It's a "workflow minimalist" approach where you spend more time doing your task, and less time thinking about the desktop itself and this suits me quite well.

For new ppl and ppl that don't like it, I always suggest just learning the hot keys and avoiding a lot of extensions. They tend to muck stuff up.
          I agree. Especially on a laptop, I have really learned to appreciate using the hotkeys to launch apps and move windows left/right/min/max. I now even hide the dock in Ubuntu and have cleaned up my desktop, since the icons were a hassle to reach anyway.
          HOWEVER, after having used Unity, I think Gnome is wasteful with vertical screen space. Therefore the Unite extension is essential for me to get an efficient full screen experience.

Comment

I have removed desktop Icons quite a while ago. I was used to them, since they've been there forever, but after I put some attention in my workflow, wanting to know if icons should be there, I noticed they're just covered all the time. I found myself moving windows around to be able to reach them, whenever I wanted to get access. Hitting the superkey and typing the first 2-3 letters feels just more efficient to me and scales well to my needs, removing having to move windows back after clicking on a item. Thats what I like about gnome: It feels just that bit smarter and more modern to me than other desktops, even if they remove old paradigms once in a while. Whenever I use XFCE or KDE, I always have the feeling I have to click one more time than needed, for quite a lot of tasks.

Comment

Just today I've installed Gnome 2 (the old Gnome 2, not Mate) and I can tell you that I really do not understand some choises about Gnome3, KDE Plasma, etc. And it is still usable
              Last edited by Guest; 12 September 2019, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
                I have removed desktop Icons quite a while ago. I was used to them, since they've been there forever, but after I put some attention in my workflow, wanting to know if icons should be there, I noticed they're just covered all the time. I found myself moving windows around to be able to reach them, whenever I wanted to get access. Hitting the superkey and typing the first 2-3 letters feels just more efficient to me and scales well to my needs, removing having to move windows back after clicking on a item. Thats what I like about gnome: It feels just that bit smarter and more modern to me than other desktops, even if they remove old paradigms once in a while. Whenever I use XFCE or KDE, I always have the feeling I have to click one more time than needed, for quite a lot of tasks.
                You can map krunner to the meta key and it's much more powerful than gnome with kdes workspace overviews and vertical+ horizontal workspaces.

Comment

Originally posted by retardxfce View Post
                  You can map krunner to the meta key and it's much more powerful than gnome with kdes workspace overviews and vertical+ horizontal workspaces.
                  More powerful in which way?

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
                    I just use Alt+number to quick change the current virtual desktop, so I always have the desktop icons at hand.

Comment

Originally posted by frank007 View Post
                      Just today I've installed Gnome 2 (the old Gnome 2, not Mate)
                      Try installing Solaris 11.3 and see for yourself what peak GNOME2 UX performance looks like.

Comment

Working...
                      X