Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.34 Released With Its Many Performance Improvements & Better Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    But the worst of everything is that sometimes when saving a file using Audacity (which displays the GNOME file picker) and clicking a folder name from the left panel, it doesn't put me on the "File name" box when typing. No. It puts me on the Search box. Who would want to search something at save time?! All I want to do is to click a folder, write the file name, press Enter and that's it. But no, I have to click a folder, explicitly click on the "File name" box, write the name and press Enter. If I don't click on the "File name" box it searches. What in the heck!
    ^This!

That filepicker behavior is so incredibly awful and counter-intuitive that I doubt my own sanity every time I use it. Every time it makes me think I hit a wrong button or am somehow not understanding some fundamental concept of computing. How can the file name box not get focus when you are trying to save a file???
    Last edited by sb56637; 13 September 2019, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

What about vlc, krita and dozens of different applications? Do you want me to study shortcuts for them? You're insane. Gnome launcher is a mess. No categories and covers entire screen for no reason. I'm not blind and I'd like to know their motives to design it this way.
      <super>+vlc? Have you even used Gnome? MacOS is the same way now. (Gnome had it first in 3.0)
      In Mac spotlight is <command space>
      (I think Windows 10 is the same way too but it's slightly broken and returns weird things on search)

Nobody digs through menus for apps. There are too many. 2010 is calling my friend, time to evolve.
      Last edited by k1e0x; 13 September 2019, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sb56637 View Post

^This!

That filepicker behavior is so incredibly awful and counter-intuitive that I doubt my own sanity every time I use it. Every time it makes me think I hit a wrong button or am somehow not understanding some fundamental concept of computing. How can the file name box not get focus when you are trying to save a file???
        I think this is true. That does suck clicking the text box.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

I noticed you left out a picture of Mac's Finder. (that is very similar to Gnome) It does not have a text input nor does it generate thumbnails.

And I actually don't want this. I think KDE gets it wrong. The Filepicker shouldn't be the same as the file manager. Looking at Android (tho it varries) most on it it are also similar. There is no thumbnail and no text entry bar. I'm not saying the Gnome filepicker couldn't need to some work.. but I don't want to see thumbnails and I think a text box is unnecessary when you have favorite folders on the left. This is the mindset of a poweruser and it's slow and needless. (Gnome also does provide a thumbnail preview, but only when you select the file over on the right)

You are showing cluttered designs with unnecessary features for the task the user is trying to accomplish.
          Here we witness mental gymnastics of gnome users to cope with their shitty DE. Thumbnails in filepicker are absolutely necessary for any sort of media work or usage. Just because you dont use a feature doesnt mean it shouldnt exist.

Also in KDE you can turn off thumbnails in the filepicker if you want it to be as useless as gnome.
          Last edited by retardxfce; 13 September 2019, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by retardxfce View Post

Here we witness mental gymnastics of gnome users to cope with their shitty DE. Thumbnails in filepicker are absolutely necessary for any sort of media work or usage. Just because you dont use a feature doesnt mean it shouldnt exist.

Also in KDE you can turn off thumbnails in the filepicker if you want it to be as useless as gnome.
            Why don't any other modern DE's have it? Just Windows and KDE. (and windows had it since Vista... yay. The txt box is prob a throwback to Windows 3.1, I'm pretty sure it is. KDE has this in.. KDE 2?.. it's a dated design.)

It's clutter and like I said before, Gnome does show a thumbnail, but only for the selected file.
            Last edited by k1e0x; 13 September 2019, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Why don't any other modern DE's have it? Just Windows and KDE. (and windows had it since Vista... yay the txt box is prob a throwback to Windows 3.1)
              "just windows" is majority of the market share. Again the mental gymnastics of gnome users. "no modern OS has it, windows vista/7/8/8.1/10 and KDE doesnt count".

Why do gnome users keep crying to get a filepicker but gnome devs simply dont care ?

Comment

"just windows" is majority of the market share. Again the mental gymnastics of gnome users. "no modern OS has it, windows vista/7/8/8.1/10 and KDE doesnt count".

Why do gnome users keep crying to get a filepicker but gnome devs simply dont care ?
                Because it's old windows 3.1 garbage legacy trash and we don't want it? lol

Comment

Because it's old windows 3.1 garbage legacy trash and we don't want it? lol
                  You are seething very hard because you dont have a feature. You just said that the filepicker was introduced in vista but now its 3.1 legacy trash. Make up your mind.

"Gnome doesnt have a feature, therefore we dont need it"
                  "Mac doesnt have it either, and gnome must be like mac"
                  "you dont need thumbnails, you dont even need a gui just guess the file you want to open"

gnome mental gymnastics, ladies and gentlemen
                  Last edited by retardxfce; 13 September 2019, 07:11 PM.

Comment

You are seething very hard because you dont have a feature. You just said that the filepicker was introduced in vista but now its 3.1 legacy trash. Make up your mind.

"Gnome doesnt have a feature, therefore we dont need it"
                    "Mac doesnt have it either, and gnome must be like mac"
                    "you dont need thumbnails, you dont even need a gui just guess the file you want to open"

gnome mental gymnastics, ladies and gentlemen
                    Yeah right. I'm talking about the text box and you know it. If you have an actual real argument here great, my mental state however is between me and my mind.

btw.. When you think they going to ban you again? lol
                    Last edited by k1e0x; 13 September 2019, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Yeah right. I'm talking about the text box and you know it. If you have an actual real argument here great, my mental state however is between me and my mind.

btw.. When you think they going to ban you again? lol
                      You dont have an actual argument why there shouldnt be thumbnails in the filepicker except for non arguments like "waah mac does it too" and "gnome devs said I dont need it and they must be right" . at least KDE lets you chose between list view (like gnome) and thumbnail view.

Comment

Working...
                      X