Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.34 Released With Its Many Performance Improvements & Better Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Volta View Post

It seems there are no previews. Btw. what current distribution will get the latest Gnome? I want to try it.
    Fedora 31 will have it, it should go into beta next week (09/17), you can get a snapshot of the current freeze here:

The iso dated 20190912 does NOT have it, but the later ones should.

Fedora Rawhide will also have it, but you would be better off waiting for the Fedora 31 beta. Another alternative that _DOES_ have it is Fedora Silverblue:

The iso dated 20190913 (or higher) DOES have it.

Ubuntu 19.10 (https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/05/...lease-features) will also have it on October 17.

Any of the rolling release distributions, for example, OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (https://software.opensuse.org/distributions/tumbleweed) or Arch Linux should also have it right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Those who bitch about systemd have yet to come up with any viable alternatives and sysinitv isn't suitable for the 21st century.
      Maybe you don't know that other famous (more than Linux) unix-like OS's do not use systemd, and all their users are much happier than you.

Comment

Originally posted by frank007 View Post
        Maybe you don't know that other famous (more than Linux) unix-like OS's do not use systemd, and all their users are much happier than you.
        Which unix like OS is more famous than linux? If it's solaris or any of the BSDs, i know some very unhappy users.

Comment

Originally posted by retardxfce View Post
          There is no proper way to select files in gnome.

Filepicker in Gnome.

Filepicker in windows

Filepicker in KDE
          Oh! I see. Yeah, I agree. The GNOME file picker feels limited and every time I have to write a path (sometimes because I know the name and I don't feel like finding the file) I can't, unless I press "/" and then backspace.
          ​​​​​​They hide the advanced features and don't provide any options to enable them.
          But the worst of everything is that sometimes when saving a file using Audacity (which displays the GNOME file picker) and clicking a folder name from the left panel, it doesn't put me on the "File name" box when typing. No. It puts me on the Search box. Who would want to search something at save time?! All I want to do is to click a folder, write the file name, press Enter and that's it. But no, I have to click a folder, explicitly click on the "File name" box, write the name and press Enter. If I don't click on the "File name" box it searches. What in the heck!

(also, please note that Windows has 3 file pickers, mostly for compatibility: one used in old Windows, another used in Windows XP (which I hate so much but I don't come across frequently), and the one you showed).

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

Which unix like OS is more famous than linux? If it's solaris or any of the BSDs, i know some very unhappy users.
            macOS

Many of their users are having fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

The unknowing is the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by torturedutopian View Post

Well, as of the previous version of Gnome / Ubuntu, it was pretty difficult to choose a file. I think there was just a tiny preview for the selected file. KDE filepicker for instance offers thumbnails (incl. directories thumbnails). Also if I'm not mistaken (??) you cannot edit the location field (?). But the Gnome filepicker has a properly working "recent" location by default. (that kinda has to be added manually / tweaked under KDE, or at least it was the case until recently). Yet another example of several implementations of the same kind of components, with pros & cons on both sides that have no real justifications. (all features could be implemented on one)

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Been using Ubuntu 19.04 for a few months.
                I can't try right now but I'm pretty sure you can edit location by pressing ctrl-L. Of course you need to know that in the first place, it's not easily discoverable and it's probably contrary even to GNOME's UI design guidelines.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Then I wonder why their launcher is against this philosophy?
                  What are you talking about. <Super> + T(e) is a lot of work to launch a terminal I know. It's a very slow and complicated launcher. suuure..

Comment

Originally posted by retardxfce View Post
                    There is no proper way to select files in gnome.

Filepicker in Gnome.

Filepicker in windows

Filepicker in KDE
                    I noticed you left out a picture of Mac's Finder. (that is very similar to Gnome) It does not have a text input nor does it generate thumbnails.

And I actually don't want this. I think KDE gets it wrong. The Filepicker shouldn't be the same as the file manager. Looking at Android (tho it varries) most on it it are also similar. There is no thumbnail and no text entry bar. I'm not saying the Gnome filepicker couldn't need to some work.. but I don't want to see thumbnails and I think a text box is unnecessary when you have favorite folders on the left. This is the mindset of a poweruser and it's slow and needless. (Gnome also does provide a thumbnail preview, but only when you select the file over on the right)

You are showing cluttered designs with unnecessary features for the task the user is trying to accomplish.
                    Last edited by k1e0x; 13 September 2019, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

What are you talking about. <Super> + T(e) is a lot of work to launch a terminal I know. It's a very slow and complicated launcher. suuure..
                      What about vlc, krita and dozens of different applications? Do you want me to study shortcuts for them? You're insane. Gnome launcher is a mess. No categories and covers entire screen for no reason. I'm not blind and I'd like to know their motives to design it this way.

Comment

Working...
                      X