Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.34 Released With Its Many Performance Improvements & Better Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hehe, yet another thread turned into a desktop war :-)
    Well, kinda agree with Linus T. : each single Linux desktop currently has big issues / drawbacks that the others may not have. But all of them are pretty cool and usable...
    Choosing which one to use has made me busy for 2+ decades, which, IMHO, is a huge waste of time, but, maybe that's just me.
    Anyway. They've now reached again a certain level of quality ! (but, yeah, it's crazy when you think about it, for each subject there's something apparently essential that is not correctly implemented... For instance, only the current or next versions of these DEs properly sync the display ; for instance I need kwin_lowlatency to get a proper result on www.vsynctester.com ; Cinnamon almost gets it right but not yet, and maybe the current Gnome ? gonna try ASAP. That was not the case in the former version).

BTW, I'm surprised about the criticisms against Dolphin. IMHO that's a brilliant piece of software : very fast to display tons of file, minimalistic by default but highly customizable, it does cool stuff like previewing the content of directories (inside the directories icons), splitting views, bookmarking searches, remembering views if necessary, you can pause etc. copy operations (ok that's kio).
    Last edited by torturedutopian; 13 September 2019, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by retardxfce View Post
      And unfortunately still no proper filepicker like on KDE, windows, Mac
      What's wrong with the current one?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
        It seems there are no previews. Btw. what current distribution will get the latest Gnome? I want to try it.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
          Well, as of the previous version of Gnome / Ubuntu, it was pretty difficult to choose a file. I think there was just a tiny preview for the selected file. KDE filepicker for instance offers thumbnails (incl. directories thumbnails). Also if I'm not mistaken (??) you cannot edit the location field (?). But the Gnome filepicker has a properly working "recent" location by default. (that kinda has to be added manually / tweaked under KDE, or at least it was the case until recently). Yet another example of several implementations of the same kind of components, with pros & cons on both sides that have no real justifications. (all features could be implemented on one)

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Been using Ubuntu 19.04 for a few months.

Comment

Originally posted by torturedutopian View Post
            Also if I'm not mistaken (??) you cannot edit the location field (?).
            Ctrl + L should allow you to edit it, if I am not mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by torturedutopian View Post
              Hehe, yet another thread turned into a desktop war :-)
              Well, kinda agree with Linus T. : each single Linux desktop currently has big issues / drawbacks that the others may not have. But all of them are pretty cool and usable...
              Choosing which one to use has made me busy for 2+ decades, which, IMHO, is a huge waste of time, but, maybe that's just me.
              Anyway. They've now reached again a certain level of quality ! (but, yeah, it's crazy when you think about it, for each subject there's something apparently essential that is not correctly implemented... For instance, only the current or next versions of these DEs properly sync the display ; for instance I need kwin_lowlatency to get a proper result on www.vsynctester.com ; Cinnamon almost gets it right but not yet, and maybe the current Gnome ? gonna try ASAP. That was not the case in the former version).

BTW, I'm surprised about the criticisms against Dolphin. IMHO that's a brilliant piece of software : very fast to display tons of file, minimalistic by default but highly customizable, it does cool stuff like previewing the content of directories (inside the directories icons), splitting views, bookmarking searches, remembering views if necessary, you can pause etc. copy operations (ok that's kio).
              Yes, there is a desktop war, among the desktop developers, not among the users. It's almost time for Gnome 4 and the story will be the same as that we had between Gnome 2 and Gnome 3.
              The developers insists to code something complicated (I sometime wander: are they all good programmers?) and useless. Why? I think they do not need to sell anything to anyone, so keep simple, beautiful and bug-free.

Comment

It's in Arch gnome-unstable repo, gave its Wayland session a quick try: Cursor stutter, regular vsync jitter spikes, had one session crash.
                Don't need this.

Comment

Originally posted by frank007 View Post

Yes, there is a desktop war, among the desktop developers, not among the users. It's almost time for Gnome 4 and the story will be the same as that we had between Gnome 2 and Gnome 3.
                  There are currently ZERO plans for GNOME 4. There is a plan for a GTK4, but that is not meant to be a trigger for a new GNOME version.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
                    I use Gnome daily and have since the 1.x era. (Including Ximian Gnome) ... FreeBSD currently has 3.28 released Mar 14 2018, thanks to trouble non systemd OS's have back porting out systemd speific dependencies (Hey Gnome team, are you a Linux only desktop or are you a cross platform one like.. KDE, MATE, XFCE, LXQt and every other DE out there?)

So.. ahem.. where as I haven't used a "new" version of Gnome in quite a while.. I can say the workflow is excellent. Gnome's philosophy has always been to get out of the users way and let them focus on whatever app or job they are trying to accomplish.. It's a "workflow minimalist" approach where you spend more time doing your task, and less time thinking about the desktop itself and this suits me quite well.

For new ppl and ppl that don't like it, I always suggest just learning the hot keys and avoiding a lot of extensions. They tend to muck stuff up.
                    I agree with the workflow comments about Gnome 3. I've found it to be the most streamlined of the Desktop Environments.
                    Desktop icons are useless and just clutter, so I leave those turned off.
                    I also agree that the file picker could use previews, maybe in a separate pane like Mac or Windows (so you can turn if off if you don't like it).
                    The large bars on the tops of windows are a point of contention... I think they could go away...

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                      torturedutopian There’s no desktop war. Just like the init war it ended when all distributors and downstreams settled for one pick.
                      Those who bitch about systemd have yet to come up with any viable alternatives and sysinitv isn't suitable for the 21st century.

Comment

Working...
                      X