Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.36 Pegged For Release On 11 March, More Stable Point Releases Come To GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.36 Pegged For Release On 11 March, More Stable Point Releases Come To GNOME

Phoronix: GNOME 3.36 Pegged For Release On 11 March, More Stable Point Releases Come To GNOME

With the big GNOME 3.34 release coming out this week, the GNOME 3.36 release schedule has now been published...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    GNOME 3.34 will be a game changer. Figuratively and literary.

3.36 even better. The downstreams really come together now.
    Which downstreams?

Comment

If I can have a dream, I wish the desktop icons support was finally completely fixed in 3.36. By this I mean 100%. feature complete and stable to be at long last on par with the old versions of Nautilus that managed desktop icons themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
        If I can have a dream, I wish the desktop icons support was finally completely fixed in 3.36. By this I mean 100%. feature complete and stable to be at long last on par with the old versions of Nautilus that managed desktop icons themselves.
        As someone who hasn't used the extension for desktop icons, what are the shortcomings at the moment?

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          tildearrow All of them basically.
          I meant, like did you mean desktop environments?

Comment

on the road to Gnome4 ? with these point releases , GTK4 an Gnome4? possible IMO

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

As someone who hasn't used the extension for desktop icons, what are the shortcomings at the moment?
              It's buggy, often it's not possible to empty the trash.
              Drag & drop between the desktop and applications doesn't work, at least not consistently. This includes Nautilus windows.
              Mounted volumes (USB etc.) don't appear on the desktop.

NB: this is all in Wayland sessions. Maybe it behaves better under X11, that I don't know.

Comment

It's buggy, often it's not possible to empty the trash.
                Drag & drop between the desktop and applications doesn't work, at least not consistently. This includes Nautilus windows.
                Mounted volumes (USB etc.) don't appear on the desktop.

NB: this is all in Wayland sessions. Maybe it behaves better under X11, that I don't know.
                Desktop icons don't really make sense under GNOME anyway.

The desktop icons extension is infamous for crashing the shell, leaking memory worse than a 5 day old nappy and causing the shell to run like dog crap. Which is probably why Ubuntu ships it.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Desktop icons don't really make sense under GNOME anyway.

The desktop icons extension is infamous for crashing the shell, leaking memory worse than a 5 day old nappy and causing the shell to run like dog crap. Which is probably why Ubuntu ships it.
                  That the implementation is crap doesn't mean that it "doesn't make sense". GNOME is a desktop interface, not a mobile phone interface, and desktop icons must be front and centre otherwise it's not really usable.

Comment

That the implementation is crap doesn't mean that it "doesn't make sense". GNOME is a desktop interface, not a mobile phone interface, and desktop icons must be front and centre otherwise it's not really usable.
                    What does that even mean? Almost all mobile phones have desktop icons too (Android, iOS kind of, Ubuntu Touch, etc.). Hell, even my backup phone, a 2007 Motorola Razr V6 Maxx SE (which isn't even a smartphone!), has desktop icons.

Comment

Working...
                    X