Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Now Supports Fractional Scaling On Wayland

Phoronix: KDE Now Supports Fractional Scaling On Wayland

While KDE's new goals will include focusing on Wayland support, a big TODO item was just crossed off the list this week... KDE Plasma finally supports fractional scaling under Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's a biggie. The UI design also looks very sane to me and seems to allow per output scaling. Really great job by Roman!

Comment

Great work, thank you Roman! Much appreciated. The 2x scaling worked badly depending from the screen size and font dpi was only a partial workaround on Wayland.

Comment

Progress here is great, but KDE will continue to look embarrassingly ugly and unprofessional until they address the KDE library bug that causes ugly horizontal lines with many KDE apps like Konsole, KDevelop, kate, and kwrite.

I know it's purely aesthetic. But looks matter. Seeing compiz on my coworker's Linux desktop is part of the reason I'm using Linux today. Today I'd be embarrassed if my coworker came over and saw this.
        Last edited by slacka; 08 September 2019, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by slacka View Post
          Progress here is great, but KDE will continue to look embarrassingly ugly and unprofessional until they address the KDE library bug that causes ugly horizontal lines with many KDE apps like Konsole, KDevelop, kate, and kwrite.
          That's not a KDE bug, it's Qt bug or side effect of rendering + graphic driver. Actually i saw that works correct but apparently start showing these lines on Qt update. So when it's fixed in the core of the problem, all will start to work. Also it should be tested on Wayland as well, rendering there is different.

Comment

I know it's purely aesthetic. But looks matter. Seeing compiz on my coworker's Linux desktop is part of the reason I'm using Linux today. Today I'd be embarrassed if my coworker came over and saw this.
            Hmmm, Compiz had more that it's fair share of bugs, crashes and general errant behaviour.

Comment

This took a while to happen, good.

Comment

At least under openSUSE TW the bug was fixed weeks ago. Not sure if it came as part of Qt 5.13 or a KF5 update but it's definitively gone here.

Comment

Whatever this is, as long as it doesn't turn every rando away from linux because it's a non-functioning screen tearing/black screen POS- I'm good with it.

Along that train of thought, it would be really swell if you kde imbeciles focused on your "Holy crap, It's on Fire!" bugs after this "more shit to break" patch is finished. I am so, so very beyond tired of making excuses for you.

Why is Bob seizing up on the floor from this new 'REM screen tearing' feature that has no epilepsy warning?

Why am I booting to a black screen when the video driver is properly installed?

I don't know. But there are only so many times I can try to explain that kde is NOT Linux, before people flip me off.

In short KDE- Fix yer shit, numbnuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

At least under openSUSE TW the bug was fixed weeks ago. Not sure if it came as part of Qt 5.13 or a KF5 update but it's definitively gone here.
                    It was not fixed in TW. I still see those lines in Konsole...

Comment

Working...
                    X