Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
    I use Google Contacts.
    kontact is the full PIM suite with mail, calendar, contacts, notes, etc. Google Contacts will just not cut it and Gmail is of no use with my existing mailboxes. Even if it was just contacts, I'd not be allowed to legally to use Google Contacts as this would violate the EU's GDPR.

So what are the plenty of alternatives to KDE PIM?

Comment

Originally posted by niner View Post

kontact is the full PIM suite with mail, calendar, contacts, notes, etc. Google Contacts will just not cut it and Gmail is of no use with my existing mailboxes. Even if it was just contacts, I'd not be allowed to legally to use Google Contacts as this would violate the EU's GDPR.

So what are the plenty of alternatives to KDE PIM?
      I use other Google products for the tasks you mentioned just like millions of other EU citizens, and I do live in the EU as well (also Germany has the strictest laws on data protection within the EU). I haven't heard of Google's non-compliance with the GDPR at least I know of no court ruling saying so. So what is the problem of using their services?

By the way, here is a page where they list what they do to comply with the GDPR: https://privacy.google.com/businesse...al_active=none
      Last edited by ms178; 08 September 2019, 01:10 PM. Reason: Adding the Google Privacy Link

Comment

I haven't heard of Google's non-compliance with the GDPR at least I know of no court ruling saying so. So what is the problem of using their services?
        None of my contacts were informed at the time they gave me their data that we would give the data to any third party.

So your "plenty of good alternatives" are just that? "Give all your data and your company's data to Google and use their webapps"? You do have odd definitions of "plenty" and "good" I dare say.

Comment

I use other Google products for the tasks you mentioned just like millions of other EU citizens, and I do live in the EU as well (also Germany has the strictest laws on data protection within the EU). I haven't heard of Google's non-compliance with the GDPR at least I know of no court ruling saying so. So what is the problem of using their services?

By the way, here is a page where they list what they do to comply with the GDPR: https://privacy.google.com/businesse...al_active=none
          I agree. The vast majority of people use cloud based services - be it Google, Microsoft, Facebook, etc. In fact, many businesses now use Google Suite because they don't want to spend the time and effort to support email services themselves. In today's world, people demand syncronization with their mobile devices - and you just aren't going to get that with the legacy apps.

Comment

I still can't launch kwin_wayland with SDDM properly - when I do, it only uses the the top quarter of the screen and I still see the console on the rest of it - the mouse however works on the whole screen

Comment

None of my contacts were informed at the time they gave me their data that we would give the data to any third party.

So your "plenty of good alternatives" are just that? "Give all your data and your company's data to Google and use their webapps"? You do have odd definitions of "plenty" and "good" I dare say.
              From a look in Art. 1 Nr. 3 GDPR: "The free movement of personal data within the Union shall be neither restricted nor prohibited for reasons connected with the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data." - as you see processing of data (at least within the Union, but there are treaties with the USA as well) is neither restricted nor prohibited. Of course the details are way more complicated. But there are ways to comply for cloud provides and businesses with this regulation. See also Art. 5 - 11 for the general principles, especially Art. 6 (1) b GDPR for the fullfilling of contracts, there is no consent needed to process their data.

If you don't want to use Google products or cloud based services, fine. The GPDR argument doesn't hold scrutiny, at least to my eyes (and I got several law degrees but I don't deal with data protection law often anymore). There are plenty of other alternatives which I don't use hence I cannot talk about them. They exist though as these apps provide some common functionality. As you might remember, Kdenlive would be my exception. Not that there are no alternatives, but it has quite a few users. My argument is that problems like FireBurn's are much more important in my eyes to a wider audience. And there are still plenty of areas which I would rather see some developer attention on (which I consider to be "core features" of a desktop environment). We might agree to disagree on this one.

Comment

These are also the priorities of Shit Desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                  Interesting. I'm using a KDE Wayland session as my daily driver and there's only 3 bugs I have with it:
                  2. Yakuake can't show up on my second monitor for some reason
                  Apps do not have a concept of which display they're running in, or the capabilities of that display (like resolution etc).

3. Firefox running natively on Wayland visually glitches any other windows that appear on top of it
                  This is a compositor problem.

Comment

Originally posted by gbcox View Post
                    In today's world, people demand syncronization with their mobile devices - and you just aren't going to get that with the legacy apps.
                    If I'm not going to get synchronization with "legacy" apps, then why have I had synchronization for years between kontact and my Android phone? IMAP, CalDAV and CardDAV are a thing. As is ActiveSync which with e.g. https://kopano.com/ is trivial to get.

Comment

If I'm not going to get synchronization with "legacy" apps, then why have I had synchronization for years between kontact and my Android phone? IMAP, CalDAV and CardDAV are a thing. As is ActiveSync which with e.g. https://kopano.com/ is trivial to get.
                      If it works for you, consider yourself lucky: https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comment..._davmail_woes/
                      The issue as many other people have mentioned in the thread is that the vast majority of people have moved on - those that haven't are at the mercy of people who may or may not address issues or add features in a timely manner. Most of these applications are not well supported, mainly because most people aren't interested in spending the time and energy installing and maintaining calendar and email apps.

Comment

Working...
                      X