KDE Will Prioritize Wayland, Consistency & Apps Over The Next Two Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

Qmmp works quite bad on Wayland, it's interface doesn't even scale as it should and you cannot resize the window.
    That's not a problem with Qmmp... it's a problem with KDE. It works fine on GNOME Wayland.
    Also, if you insist on using KDE Wayland when it's not ready, you can configure Qmmp to use the "Simple User Interface" (which many people prefer anyway). You should also open a bug with KDE and report this issue so they can fix.
    It works fine with KDE Wayland.

Qmmp on KDE X11 works flawlessly.
    Last edited by gbcox; 08 September 2019, 11:53 AM.

Comment

That's great to hear! But they should also focus on making KWin more performent. kwin-lowlatency helps quite a lot, but it still isn't as lag-free as TWin.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

I think they dropped this idea. We have Falkon, Dolphin, Okular, Gwenview etc.

I wish they would change some older names to new. For example I don't like name "KSysGuard". "KDE System Monitor" would be better name.
        Plus GNOME also has some G-apps: gThumb, gMusicBrowser, etc.

And I agree on KSysGuard: that's the worst KDE app name IMHO.

Comment

Unstable applications should be moved out of the core packages making it clear that they must be improved (e.g. Kmail)
          Agreed.

get rid of Konqueror in favor of Falkon (why do we need 2 browsers?)
          Agreed: Falkon has become a bit unstable ever since KDE took over (it was more stable in the QupZilla days), but it's still 200x better than that deprecated Konqueror.

make sure that the user will see much less KDE Plasma or application crashes
          Agreed +100

provide one nice music player that actually works
          They already provide one, it's called JuK. I know Babe and Elisa are being developed as well (and Amarok, kind of), but JuK is still as good as it always was and fully Qt/KDE 5, and part of the default set of KDE apps.

enforce a consistent app look and feel
          Agreed.

improve touchscreen usage
          HELL YEAH. It's currently very abysmal.

make notifications less annoying
          I like the current notifications, but they need to add click support to the history (currently you can only click a notification when it's not in history) and clean up the settings.

allow fractional scaling on Wayland
          They just added that.

Comment

Originally posted by gbcox View Post

I was under the impression that the official browser for KDE was now Falkon, which is quite good. IMO the main thing that is holding back Falkon adoption is that qt webengine still doesn't support chrome extensions - and most people want their extensions. On the application front they should have long ago replaced JuK with QMMP - just from the fact that JuK goes years without any updates and QMMP is a extremely active project. They should also adopt CopyQ as their clipboard manager for the same reason.
            What's wrong with JuK? It's long been ported to QT/KDE 5, has a sane interface, a good default feature set and it just works. It has also seen a couple bug fixes and removal of deprecated code this year, so it's far from dead.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
              Some games are locked to fps = refreshrate with xwayland on Plasma, while this is not the case with Gnome (though Gnome looks like a stuttery mess).
              I know there was that backbuffer queue length issue with DXVK, but you can't make it work with some native Vulkan games like Doom.
              Actually, radv already has an option to force present mode. For example:

Code:
              export MESA_VK_WSI_PRESENT_MODE=fifo
              May be radv developers can add an option to force number of backbuffers, to help cases like above? Feel free to open a feature request if it doesn't have it yet. Or I can file it a bit later.
              Last edited by shmerl; 08 September 2019, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                Some games are locked to fps = refreshrate with xwayland on Plasma, while this is not the case with Gnome (though Gnome looks like a stuttery mess).
                I know there was that backbuffer queue length issue with DXVK, but you can't make it work with some native Vulkan games like Doom.
                Opened it: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=111590

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

What's wrong with JuK? It's long been ported to QT/KDE 5, has a sane interface, a good default feature set and it just works. It has also seen a couple bug fixes and removal of deprecated code this year, so it's far from dead.
                  It went years without any updates - just because there is some attention this year, doesn't mean it will continue - and based upon the history, it won't. Checkout the change history for JuK compared to Qmmp and you can see the years of neglect (which is a problem with other KDE apps also). The poster child for this was Konqueror - and finally it has been replaced with Falkon. Have you tried Qmmp, if you want a plain interface, change the settings to "Simple User Interface" - which is what I use. Those who prefer winamp skins can choose to use that.

Comment

Originally posted by gbcox View Post

It went years without any updates - just because there is some attention this year, doesn't mean it will continue - and based upon the history, it won't. Checkout the change history for JuK compared to Qmmp and you can see the years of neglect (which is a problem with other KDE apps also). The poster child for this was Konqueror - and finally it has been replaced with Falkon. Have you tried Qmmp, if you want a plain interface, change the settings to "Simple User Interface" - which is what I use. Those who prefer winamp skins can choose to use that.
                    But even if so, there's not much that can be improved in JuK. Everything is good about it. So as long as bugs get squashed, then it's all good. "neglecting" isn't always a bad thing: it can also mean that it's mature enough. And I feel like JuK definitely is.

QMMP is too spartan IMHO and doesn't look as slick as JuK, even when only comparing it to the Simple User Interface.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

But even if so, there's not much that can be improved in JuK. Everything is good about it. So as long as bugs get squashed, then it's all good. "neglecting" isn't always a bad thing: it can also mean that it's mature enough. And I feel like JuK definitely is.

QMMP is too spartan IMHO and doesn't look as slick as JuK, even when only comparing it to the Simple User Interface.
                      I don't know what you mean about "spartan"... I just installed JuK again to take another look, and it looks quite similar. Not to mention it always hangs on my collection when building its database. If it works for you great... too many bugs for me and IMO Qmmp is much much better, and has way more features and options.

Here is a side to side comparison... JuK looks more "spartan" to me.... https://photos.app.goo.gl/nA9QPMdofUZLse3o6
                      Last edited by gbcox; 08 September 2019, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X