No announcement yet.

KDE Will Prioritize Wayland, Consistency & Apps Over The Next Two Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried KDE on Wayland pretty recently (latest Arch packages, RX 580). It wasn't a great experience:
    • Some glitchiness related to pop-ups appearing in the wrong place (okay, whatever).
    • Screen configuration messed up, only my secondary screen appears and I cannot get my primary monitor to run at 75Hz. It... quite already makes it worthless for me.
    • Hangs when starting some apps...
    I am in the process of switching to sway now. Things are in a much better state there. I wouldn't call it perfect but it is pretty darn impressive:
    • VRR is not supported. It seems to be a WIP however, and FWIW I can't even get it to work on X11 because I have two monitors. Hopefully multiple monitor support should be better on sway (and Wayland in general) than on X11. When it works, then I have a very very good reason to use Wayland over Xorg.
    • Windows flicker when doing certain actions, e.g. sometimes when opening windows.
    ... And shockingly enough, that's quite about it. Firefox feels smoother to use (native Wayland, tweaked smooth scroll, WebRender forced on).

Comment

does wayland prevent usage of vulkan? or this happens only on nvidia cards?
      after enabling wayland on kde or gnome dxvk/d9vk stop working. lutris also says that no vulkan is installed

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
        In my eyes there is no need for two browsers, KMail, PIM and a bunch of other software I never bothered to use even once as there are plenty of good alternatives out there already.
        So what are the plenty of good alternatives to kontact?

Comment

Originally posted by gbcox View Post

I was under the impression that the official browser for KDE was now Falkon, which is quite good. IMO the main thing that is holding back Falkon adoption is that qt webengine still doesn't support chrome extensions - and most people want their extensions. On the application front they should have long ago replaced JuK with QMMP - just from the fact that JuK goes years without any updates and QMMP is a extremely active project. They should also adopt CopyQ as their clipboard manager for the same reason.
          Qmmp works quite bad on Wayland, it's interface doesn't even scale as it should and you cannot resize the window.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
            Interesting. I'm using a KDE Wayland session as my daily driver and there's only 3 bugs I have with it:
            1. I can't seem to take a rectangular screenshot with Spectacle no matter how hard I try
            2. Yakuake can't show up on my second monitor for some reason
            3. Firefox running natively on Wayland visually glitches any other windows that appear on top of it

1 and 2 are minor annoyances at best, with 3 most likely being a problem with Firefox instead of KWin. I wonder what issues other users are having.
            No, that is a really long standing bug of Kwin, it cannot deal correctly with subsurfaces. You have the same issue in some systemsetting areas and kmail (make sure to run it on Wayland though).

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
              does wayland prevent usage of vulkan? or this happens only on nvidia cards?
              after enabling wayland on kde or gnome dxvk/d9vk stop working. lutris also says that no vulkan is installed
              For sure not, Vulkan works perfectly well in the open source driver area ;-) This is probably an Nvidia bug with XWayland.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

For sure not, Vulkan works perfectly well in the open source driver area ;-) This is probably an Nvidia bug with XWayland.
                As far as I know, Nvidia didn't work with Wayland to begin with for a long time, and even after they started barely supporting it, they didn't add any XWayland support. Unless I missed some recent development. Basically, if anyone wants to use Wayland - avoid Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

Some games are locked to fps = refreshrate with xwayland on Plasma, while this is not the case with Gnome (though Gnome looks like a stuttery mess).
                  I know there was that backbuffer queue length issue with DXVK, but you can't make it work with some native Vulkan games like Doom.

Comment

Originally posted by niner View Post

So what are the plenty of good alternatives to kontact?
                    I use Google Contacts.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                      Some games are locked to fps = refreshrate with xwayland on Plasma, while this is not the case with Gnome (though Gnome looks like a stuttery mess).
                      I know there was that backbuffer queue length issue with DXVK, but you can't make it work with some native Vulkan games like Doom.
                      You probably can, using Vulkan layers?

Comment

Working...
                      X