No announcement yet.

KDE Will Prioritize Wayland, Consistency & Apps Over The Next Two Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree that getting a new rendering backend is a big concern (opengl rendering has a couple issues... though maybe those are being solved?). That said, Roman Gilg seems to be making big progress on kwin which is good to see.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      I agree that the Wayland compositor is still in early stages, and doesn't feel right at the moment.
      Well, we al know the story: early versions of the protocol were lacking, so even you implemented the whole thing, the desktop still wouldn't work as expected. I think it got better, but I'm pretty sure the protocol is still missing some bits (I can't name any otoh, though).
      So this has always been about Wayland devs working with implementers and as we know, the whole KDE project doesn't do that much, because of lack of resources. They just let the whole thing grow on its own before getting on board.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
        A focus on consistency and KDE apps sounds great too. I hope they will split KDE Applications in core and experimental packages. Kicker should go to trash, unstable applications should be moved out of the core packages making it clear that they must be improved (e.g. Kmail), get rid of Konqueror in favor of Falkon (why do we need 2 browsers?), make sure that the user will see much less KDE Plasma or application crashes, provide one nice music player that actually works, make breeze visually nice and clean, enforce a consistent app look and feel, remove the need for a new user to first customize KDE before it looks and works fine, promote beautiful applications like latte-dock, provide an easy backup utility, provide a profile sync for multiple machines e.g. based on Nextcloud, get rid of stupid messages like when opening a Nextcloud webdav folder, improve the bug reporting utility, make multi monitor setups work, do not copy files twice when copying them to a network location, improve touchscreen usage, make notifications less annoying, allow fractional scaling on Wayland, let flatpak applications work fine on Wayland, ... and last but not least improve stability.

I was under the impression that the official browser for KDE was now Falkon, which is quite good. IMO the main thing that is holding back Falkon adoption is that qt webengine still doesn't support chrome extensions - and most people want their extensions. On the application front they should have long ago replaced JuK with QMMP - just from the fact that JuK goes years without any updates and QMMP is a extremely active project. They should also adopt CopyQ as their clipboard manager for the same reason.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          Problem is they already down priortized x11. No Fedora to move wayland ahead. No Ubuntu to keep x11 rocking.
          Wayland default is remaining on the Fedora roadmap. So November another roll of dice.

Yes you need to catch up 144hz Fedora is in the process of turning off gtk and qt applications from being able to use X11.

So Fedora move to Wayland is well and truly underway. Having broken wayland support is going to hurt.

Comment

When I used KDE several years ago, before switching to Ubuntu MATE, many of the KDE apps intended specifically for use with KDE were the open-source equivalent of abandonware and hadn't seen any real code updates in years. Has that changed?

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Wayland default is remaining on the Fedora roadmap. So November another roll of dice.

Yes you need to catch up 144hz Fedora is in the process of turning off gtk and qt applications from being able to use X11.

So Fedora move to Wayland is well and truly underway. Having broken wayland support is going to hurt.
              Wayland has been default in Fedora for a few years now. That change is specifically to have QT applications be wayland-native by default, rather than through XWayland. GTK apps have been wayland-native since Fedora 25.

Comment

Interesting. I'm using a KDE Wayland session as my daily driver and there's only 3 bugs I have with it:
                1. I can't seem to take a rectangular screenshot with Spectacle no matter how hard I try
                2. Yakuake can't show up on my second monitor for some reason
                3. Firefox running natively on Wayland visually glitches any other windows that appear on top of it

1 and 2 are minor annoyances at best, with 3 most likely being a problem with Firefox instead of KWin. I wonder what issues other users are having.

Comment

Good!

I'd like to see these in the Wayland support in KDE / KWin:

1. Fixing the long standing subsurfaces clipping bug.
                  2. Adaptive sync support.
                  3. Support for Wacom drawing tablets (which work well with Xorg).
                  4. Vulkan renderer.

Comment

vulkan renderer

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                      Interesting. I'm using a KDE Wayland session as my daily driver and there's only 3 bugs I have with it:
                      1. I can't seem to take a rectangular screenshot with Spectacle no matter how hard I try
                      2. Yakuake can't show up on my second monitor for some reason
                      3. Firefox running natively on Wayland visually glitches any other windows that appear on top of it

1 and 2 are minor annoyances at best, with 3 most likely being a problem with Firefox instead of KWin. I wonder what issues other users are having.
                      3 is probably the subsurface clipping bug in KWin. It happens with other applications, too.

Comment

Working...
                      X