No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.34 RC2 Available For Final Testing Of This Big Desktop Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To add to the difficulty conversation, I don't find Gnome 3 to be difficult in the hard to figure out to use meaning, I find it to be difficult in regards to its ease-of-use. Its default, OOTB experience without plugins just isn't very fun for me to use and just seems to get in my way. By the time I add on enough plugins to make it a fun experience I find myself in the territory of plugin conflicts with issues arising from that and why I'd pick a minimalist WM over Gnome -- I figure if I'm going to have to add a significant amount of non-theme*, non-native project stuff to tailor the desktop to my liking, might as well start with a minimalist WM and use programs over a DE and scripts.

It also feels like it's trying to be a tiling WM with just enough floating window manager bits to not scare people who don't care for tiling off. I'm just talking about the full screen programs, full screen program changing hot corner**, expecting and wanting people to use keyboard controls over clickity click click. If someone doesn't want that kind of an environment, they very well might call Gnome difficult simply due to it fighting that person with how they'd like to work. Like, I find it to be a pain in the ass to go back and forth between KB & M when using multiple Gimp instances -- I'm just saying that I prefer one click on a taskbar vs 6 alt+tabs or a hot corner when I'm doing mouse heavy stuff.

I suppose it just depends on what a person is doing most of the time. If they're mainly typing in an editor and can cram everything they need onto one screen with minimal need for a mouse, Gnome would probably work great for them. If they're mainly multitasking with mouse heavy programs, Gnome probably wouldn't be the best for them.

This isn't intended to be a negative post about Gnome. I'm a use what makes you happy person. I know very well that people find can find Plasma*** to be just as difficult in the get out of my way meaning and not suited for their preferred workflow. It's just hard to add to a topic like that without saying why.

You know, a lot of that describes Windows 8 to 10 too

*I honestly don't expect Gnome or KDE or Ubuntu or Fedora or whatever to carry all the themes
    **Plasma does that by default too....
    ***or whatever DE, I just happen to be a Plasma user so that's what I went with

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow
      Inversely, maybe power users are the ones who find GNOME hard to use?
      I'd class myself as a power user and I find Gnome easier to use than KDE or Windows. None of those can compare with a proper tiling WM for workflow though (I'm a Sway user).

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
        API hasn't changed in any serious for the past several releases and that's the reason new releases don't automatically mark extensions as incompatible anymore. Largely because the shell doesn't change as much as it did in the earlier major releases
        Unfortunately, it seems that it will be enabled again in 3.34 :-(

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
          systemD integration
          Spelling
          Yes, it is written systemd, not system D or System D, or even SystemD. And it isn't system d either. <...>
          (https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/)

Comment

oK then

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

And also hinder the possibility of new users, and especially the ones that come from Windows. Since they find GNOME being unfamiliar, they'll just go back to Windows because most aren't willing to take the effort of knowing what KDE (or the alternate DE's (or even what a Desktop Environment is)) is.
              New users especially the young audience will quickly find GNOME Shell interface easy to use being familiar with say Android interface consisting the majority. Even majority of Microsoft Windows users have no problem navigating Android interface (similar symbolic icons) and Gnome Shell given similarity of shortcuts.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                I suppose it just depends on what a person is doing most of the time. If they're mainly typing in an editor and can cram everything they need onto one screen with minimal need for a mouse, Gnome would probably work great for them. If they're mainly multitasking with mouse heavy programs, Gnome probably wouldn't be the best for them.
                Easy and convenient multitasking is just one of the very reasons why I choose gnome. I don't do use Alt-Tab that much, but hitting the windows key and clicking on a window preview is one of the things I do use heavily, besides using "Dash to Dock" to navigate. Thats one of the very reasons I think Gnome is outperforming XFCE and other old-fashioned DEs for me.

Comment

Originally posted by amehaye View Post

I'm using a few GNOME Shell extensions on a daily basis. However I'm not acquainted with the internal working - is it like similar to Chrome/Firefox web extensions, with a well-defined API? I also wonder about the security implications - IIUC extensions generally have access to everything the shell has access to. This makes it possible for a nefarious extension to steal credentials etc. Is there some 'permission' model for GNOME Shell extensions?
                  It works more like the old Firefox extension model unlike the current one ie) Extensions are essentially unrestricted and that makes them quite powerful. The flip-side is that shell changes can break it

Comment

Working...
                  X