GNOME 3.34 RC2 Available For Final Testing Of This Big Desktop Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.34 RC2 Available For Final Testing Of This Big Desktop Update

Phoronix: GNOME 3.34 RC2 Available For Final Testing Of This Big Desktop Update

GNOME 3.34 RC2 made it out on Friday night as the final step before next week's official GNOME 3.34 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I know this is unrelated, but I wish there was more effort put into the Plasma release trailers.

The GNOME trailers look so much better when compared to the KDE Plasma ones.

Comment

As long as gnome insists on using that horrible Mac-like interface, its going to keep loosing users to move modern and/or conventional desktops.

If it wasn't for Fedora's spins, Fedora would have long ago gone into obscurity as a redhat-only tool.

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
        As long as gnome insists on using that horrible Mac-like interface, its going to keep loosing users to move modern and/or conventional desktops.
        And also hinder the possibility of new users, and especially the ones that come from Windows. Since they find GNOME being unfamiliar, they'll just go back to Windows because most aren't willing to take the effort of knowing what KDE (or the alternate DE's (or even what a Desktop Environment is)) is.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          tildearrow please keep the KDE talk to a minimum.
          144Hz please realize that you have been doing the same on the KDE threads.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

And also hinder the possibility of new users, and especially the ones that come from Windows. Since they find GNOME being unfamiliar, they'll just go back to Windows because most aren't willing to take the effort of knowing what KDE (or the alternate DE's (or even what a Desktop Environment is)) is.
            Actually thats not the case. Most people have someone who installes "linux" for them and put some extension to it to make it work like windows. Others, who come from themself to linux dont even expect it to be like windows, because, well - it's not Windows.

The other way around my mother have has some huge issues on KDE because its "windows like" but a bit different and that was the reason she got really frustratet. Not so much since I switched her to Gnome.

I also dont see gnome struggle.

Comment

I really hope the Wayland session won't be a disappointment again. I don't want mouse cursor stutter on harmless shell events and also Mutter's present logic for repeat/discard of frames when fps in games don't match refreshrate was quite bad with the latest stable version.
              Plasma Wayland has other, even way worse, issues. But cursor and compositor performance just work perfectly there. I can't use something with bad performance.

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post

If it wasn't for Fedora's spins, Fedora would have long ago gone into obscurity as a redhat-only tool.

The Gnome UI has absolutely nothing to do with Mac, and one must wonder what kind of a low IQ individual would find the Gnome UI hard to use.

Comment

After years I'll give Gnome another try. Last time when I was using it as the main desktop, it had performance problems with Firefox. What seems to be good about Gnome is systemD integration and push toward Wayland. What I don't like too much are streamlined applications, launcher and the feeling 'everyone's' moving to Qt.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    I see your point, but on the other hand I'm happy that Gnome doesn't want to be another Windows copycat like the other DEs. However aside of the obvious differences between the UI, many of the UX mechanics are still the same.

Comment

Working...
                    X