Firefox 69 / 70 Beta Against Chrome 76 On Ubuntu Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
    Chrom{e,ium} might soon handicap ad blockers pretty badly. Do you know how this could affect NoScript? (Re: Manifest v3)
    I wasn't aware of that.

I'll wait and see what happens. from what I read, the first Chrome that will have this new API and cripple adblockers should be out soon.

Comment

Is chrome faster because it's more efficient, or because it uses more CPU? Although until Firefox can do hardware decoding, it has no chance at competing with Chromium in power use.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        I wasn't aware of that.

[...] cripple
        Ahh, finally, thank you, that's the word I was looking for. It was driving me nuts, I had to go for handicap, but crippling is more fitting.

Comment

Originally posted by holunder View Post
          I’m missing a WebGL benchmark here… Firefox is dramatically losing out against Chromium in WebGL performance on Linux. It didn’t get any better over the years.
          Once https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1572697 lands, WebGL performance should get a nice boost on Wayland. However getting it to work on WebRender as well will require additional work IIUC.

Comment

Michael, any chance of Firefox x11 vs native Wayland? It works really well here with FF68.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
              Hm, only improvements on the Webrender site (although impressive!). I wonder what happened to the new baseline interpreter work. From their own benchmarks, speedometer increased heavily on speed. Michael, can you check if that new baseline interpreter was already included in the test?

https://hacks.mozilla.org/2019/08/th...in-firefox-70/
              Their tests involved forcing the browser to use each tier of the compiler and comparing the slower and faster versions. For an actual benchmark, I suspect the browser quickly goes to the fastest tier regardless (meaning the baseline interpreter is barely used).

That's one of the things you have to deal with in js benchmarks - they often don't match up with the reality of what you'll find in actual web pages, because real webpages usually don't have big loops running the same hot functions over and over again the way a benchmark does. Or at least, that's only part of what the webpage does. This baseline interpreter would seem to be more useful in running colder code that isn't as highly optimized.

Comment

I'm a "heavy" browser user. I have hundreds of tabs open at any specific time of the day, and dozens of browser windows. I also have 64GB or RAM (so that's not a limitation). Firefox, even with its defaults settings, handles my use cases much better. Chrome appears to slowly degrade until page loading is noticeably slower than Firefox. Firefox, OTOH, continues to run fine in this scenario. This is one of the reasons I keep using Firefox. Benchmarks like these, while useful, do not capture this. Firefox _is_ better performing than Chrome in a meaningful way in practical scenarios. I strongly encourage heavy browsing users to try Firefox for a while.

Comment

No benchmarks on how fast your ad blocker will be disabled. Come on!

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post
                    No benchmarks on how fast your ad blocker will be disabled. Come on!
                    »Content blocking: We have no immediate plans to remove blocking webRequest and are working with add-on developers to gain a better understanding of how they use the APIs in question to help determine how to best support them.«
                    Developers have asked what Google's proposed changes to their extensions API, known as Manifest v3, mean for Mozilla. Here are some frequently asked questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Pseus View Post
                      I'm a "heavy" browser user. I have hundreds of tabs open at any specific time of the day, and dozens of browser windows. I also have 64GB or RAM (so that's not a limitation). Firefox, even with its defaults settings, handles my use cases much better. Chrome appears to slowly degrade until page loading is noticeably slower than Firefox. Firefox, OTOH, continues to run fine in this scenario. This is one of the reasons I keep using Firefox. Benchmarks like these, while useful, do not capture this. Firefox _is_ better performing than Chrome in a meaningful way in practical scenarios. I strongly encourage heavy browsing users to try Firefox for a while.
                      Funny. Every time I try Firefox, it starts to slow down after opening a couple of tabs, more so than Vivaldi. And mind you: I always test clean profiles on clean installations of various distros. So in my experience, Firefox is not so good for heavy browser users.

Comment

Working...
                      X