No announcement yet.

Geometric Picking Finally Lands In GNOME/Mutter 3.34 For Lowering CPU Usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

seeing how much performance can yet be gained in gnome says a lot about its current state, doesn't it.

for the record, i am using gnome on my laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      starshipeleven Configuration is limited to 1 physical cpu.
      Check Task Manager or process monitor or whatever. You will see multiple Virtualbox or VMWare processes for that VM (usually at least 2 per VM), regardless of how much CPUs or cores you give the VM in the config.

I'm not shitting on GNOME, I'm just pointing out that VMs don't work like that. You can't "limit CPU usage" for a VM with type 2 hypervisors, at most you screw with the guest's kernel scheduling by telling it there are only X cores. CPU processing power is shared, no matter what you do.

EDIT: on Virtualbox there is a slider for "Execution Cap", which is the only way to limit CPU resources used by the VM. Afaik VmWare does not have a similar setting.
      Last edited by starshipeleven; 03 September 2019, 09:47 AM.

Comment

yoshi314 current state says nothing about future potential. For the first time desktop linux got enough man power and the right tools to make one compositor succeed.
        Agree! And they're actually looking at the all the tricky details, together. Maybe KWin will make it also...

Comment

The fact that it took 8 years to get gnome to a usable point like this is ridiculous imo.

Comment

Gnome 3 is usable since many years, with me being an example of a longtime user. I do have some contact with Xfce and KDE, but whenever I can choose, I do choose Gnome3. I pretty much like the basic Usability thoughts behind it, they do work out very well for me.

I do agree, that gnome-shell has had quite some technical gripes over the years, but that's just one part of the puzzle...

Comment

Usability depends on your system. Gnome has for a long time bogged down my laptops, and you can essentially forget running it on a raspberry pi without it being pointless. Even still on ubuntu 18.04 there is often animation slowdowns and cpu/ram spikes.

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post

You can say that again. A ton of his pull requests have been blocked for months for stuff as important as commit messages not to the taste of Stavracas, for instance. Daniel has been schooling them for two years now on their shoddy code and they absolutely hate him for it, even though they're responsible for the abysmal state of gnome shell and mutter in terms of performance.
                I've never seen so much bullshit since debianxfce.

Comment

ernstp if kwin have any resources left they should consider how to work with mutter. Canonical benefits from this today.
                  Thinking about: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ding-KWin-Work

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post
                    Usability depends on your system. Gnome has for a long time bogged down my laptops, and you can essentially forget running it on a raspberry pi without it being pointless. Even still on ubuntu 18.04 there is often animation slowdowns and cpu/ram spikes.
                    Have you tried recent Ubuntu 18.04.3 with all the updates to Mesa and Xorg also? I use it every day at work, not really noticing any problems...

Comment

Baguy you are talking about 18.04. The rest of us are talking 19.10.

Please fast forward one and a half year. Thanks!
                      19.10 isn't even out yet, and gnome 3.34 literally just landed. My comment does still stand even if it was fixed last year. 8 years is a long time for it to finally solve it's performance problems, which are a major issue, not a tiny little UI bug or something.

Comment

Working...
                      X