X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Can anyone reply this? Please...

Firefox and Rust...?
    What is the question ? If you've been on the previous 60-ESR then I suppose a lot of the increasing rustification will be new for you - but that arrived in 68-ESR. As someone who builds from source, I dislike the churn that rust brings. But the firefox releases work, and these days they work well.

Comment

Originally posted by amehaye View Post
      the standard Firefox package in the Ubuntu repositories supports Wayland
      Wow, since when they enabled Wayland support in stable builds?

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
      You can also modify the .desktop file
      I see, I guess simple MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 in /etc/environment will do.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
        69 is absolutely usable in wayland, at least in sway.
        what is its youtube hardware acceleration story?

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
          If only they would enable HW accelerated video playback in Linux...
          Currently I have to Copy Link and use mpv to watch Youtube without heat and fan noise. Years back you could install some plugins.
          Anyone know of a good solution?
          the only solution i know of is x11+chromium with freeworld libs+h264fy addon. apparently something precludes it from working on my main workstation, but luckily that is powerful enough to do video decode on cpu

Comment

Originally posted by zerothruster View Post

What is the question ? If you've been on the previous 60-ESR then I suppose a lot of the increasing rustification will be new for you - but that arrived in 68-ESR. As someone who builds from source, I dislike the churn that rust brings. But the firefox releases work, and these days they work well.
            Well, I mean about the progress on converting code to Rust in this last stable release.

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
              If only they would enable HW accelerated video playback in Linux...
              Currently I have to Copy Link and use mpv to watch Youtube without heat and fan noise. Years back you could install some plugins.
              Anyone know of a good solution?
              1. Use invidio.us to watch YouTube videos. Get the same YouTube videos without all the Google js overhead.
              2. Build Firefox Nightly on your system. I never have this problem when I build Nightly.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post

I see, I guess simple MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 in /etc/environment will do.

Thanks!
                I didn't mention this nicer way since for some reason it is not working for me... I tried many times and for some reason it won't take that. I've been many people with the same issue. Hopefully it works for you! But make sure to check that you are actually uses the Wayland protocol in Firefox (you can check in about:support in the graphics section).

Cheers!

Comment

Well, I mean about the progress on converting code to Rust in this last stable release.
                  I don't know what the plan is (I assume that large parts will never be written in rust), but looking at the tarball for the 69.0 source (much of this is tools and test files) there are 918 .rst files, 7922 .cpp, 6930 .py, 4080 .c (much of that seems to be in the javascript source), 5982 .js and 920 .jsm which I think are some variant of javascript.

Watching 'top' from time to time while the beast compiles, the python is the build infrastructure, and the rust files are the big and slow parts. But for progress on the overall plan you'd be better asking someone who knows what that plan is.

Comment

What about Servo and the Rustification?
                    Stylo (CSS engine) and Webrender are written in Rust and have been integrated into Firefox. Both of them moved from Servo into Firefox.
                    So some of Firefox code base is written in Rust. Servo is still maintained though i don't know what they are going to do with it eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray_o View Post

Stylo (CSS engine) and Webrender are written in Rust and have been integrated into Firefox. Both of them moved from Servo into Firefox.
                      So some of Firefox code base is written in Rust. Servo is still maintained though i don't know what they are going to do with it eventually.
                      Well, I mean about if there's more components written in Rust merged to Firefox.

Comment

Working...
                      X