Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kodi 18.4 Released With A Few Months Worth Of Fixes

Phoronix: Kodi 18.4 Released With A Few Months Worth Of Fixes

For those with extra time on their hands this US Labor Day, the Kodi team behind this open-source HTPC software issued their 18.4 Leia release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I loves me some Kodi! In fact I'm watching Hogan's Heroes on it even as we speak.

Kodi is my only refuge from all the mean and terrible TV shows of today. I mean seriously, who wants to constantly watch people being vicious and cruel to each other on "reality shows"? And whose watching all those shows so terribly written that the only way to get people to watch the next episode is to have "stories" that never end, and instead always leave with a cliff hanger?

I just don't get it. But then I'm old, and remember an America that wasn't nearly as brutal and heartless as it is today.

Comment

I love Kodi too, I have a huge media collection now and most of the devices in the house have it installed and all set. About my only complaint is that the Netflix app on Android makes it somewhat easier to pause, fast forward, and rewind vs. the Kodi app. In the Kodi app you have to hit the pause and play buttons on the bottom left corner and on small screen's the buttons are tiny. Fast forwarding and rewinding is a headache, on anything other than very short videos I end up jumping too far forward or backwards.

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
      And whose watching all those shows so terribly written that the only way to get people to watch the next episode is to have "stories" that never end, and instead always leave with a cliff hanger?

I just don't get it. But then I'm old, and remember an America that wasn't nearly as brutal and heartless as it is today.
      I don't like reality shows, but I think the idea that old television was better is not realistic.

The Dating Game, Hollywood Squares, Wheel of Fortune, The Price is Right, Jeopardy + Sports playoffs = Reality TV. They really aren't that different. You get to know people, develop a little emotional attachment, and then they're ruthlessly weeded out until one person or group walks away victorious and the great majority of participants leave with nothing.

And as for shows with cliffhangers, I take it you've never watched a soap opera. They've been all-cliff hangers-all-the-time since they were invented.

TV isn't worse than it was. It was always terrible. You and I are just getting old and nostalgia is clouding our judgement.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
        I love Kodi too, I have a huge media collection now and most of the devices in the house have it installed and all set. About my only complaint is that the Netflix app on Android makes it somewhat easier to pause, fast forward, and rewind vs. the Kodi app. In the Kodi app you have to hit the pause and play buttons on the bottom left corner and on small screen's the buttons are tiny. Fast forwarding and rewinding is a headache, on anything other than very short videos I end up jumping too far forward or backwards.

I don't like reality shows, but I think the idea that old television was better is not realistic.

The Dating Game, Hollywood Squares, Wheel of Fortune, The Price is Right, Jeopardy + Sports playoffs = Reality TV. They really aren't that different. You get to know people, develop a little emotional attachment, and then they're ruthlessly weeded out until one person or group walks away victorious and the great majority of participants leave with nothing.

And as for shows with cliffhangers, I take it you've never watched a soap opera. They've been all-cliff hangers-all-the-time since they were invented.

TV isn't worse than it was. It was always terrible. You and I are just getting old and nostalgia is clouding our judgement.
        Of course you're not wrong at all. But everyone has to admit reality tv sucks major ass. It's by far the worst tv ever invented. Even if the rest of it was bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
          Well, I think the difference is that soap operas were fake, and reality TV causes real life turmoil, breakups, and suicides. And I don't know, I never considered game shows reality shows.

But beyond all that, I'm just disheartened that so many shows have meanness as their appeal. I just don't see any simple sweetness anymore. Shows where good always prevailed, and even evil eventually learned the error of its ways.

However like you said, we're old now. And it seems the world has moved past us, and that innocent time.

And I fear the world is lesser for it. It breaks my heart.
          Last edited by muncrief; 04 September 2019, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X