I expected the GTK team to drop theming from GTK 4
    looks like your expectations are rarely met
    Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
    I'm trying to steer away from software that uses their awful toolkit
    keep us posted

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
      Point OH on commercial software means it'll work
      that's why first release of rhel was named 2.1?

Comment

Originally posted by BraindeadBZH View Post
        Qt makes a good job at "abstracting" C++ through a very clean API
        not sure what "abstracting c++" means and why it is better than c++.
        to accept that qt is c++ you have to have a very low bar.

Comment

- Completing the new drag-and-drop API.
          I was hoping they (and the Qt folks) also develop a new file Cut/Copy API, because currently under the hood when you cut a file the file browser inserts a "\ncut" to the file name (or something like that) which IMO is error prone, silly and hard to implement because apparently there are additional obscure rules to this as I couldn't implement it in my file manager.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            not sure what "abstracting c++" means and why it is better than c++.
            to accept that qt is c++ you have to have a very low bar.
            It is though. Qt uses zero extensions or compiler plugins. It's just a straight up standard C++ code with an accompanying boilerplate generator (that also generates standard C++ code and is optional if you are ok with writing slightly more boilerplate yourself).

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
            From the QML/Javascript; imagine that you need to call into... i.e Steam's C++ matchmaking API. What would you do? Yep; spend your life writing bindings rather than completing the actual project and releasing your project.
            1. You don't need to. If you think you do - you are doing something wrong. QML is for declarative UI with a light scripting attached. It's not for you business logic. Your Python/C++ code does all the calls. QML just provides the view.
            2. When you need to make a call into C++ from QML - it's super easy. You "don't spend your life writing bindings" as you pt it. In 99% of cases you just need to annotate the method you want to call, register your metatype, and that's all. You can just call it as a regular function from JS/QML.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
              I hate these days where there always has to be two versions of every app.
              I'm not fond of trolls with mental health issues.

GTK3 apps work like hell on non-Gnome systems
              Bullshit. I use Enlightenment as my primary DE, and I develop gtk apps, and they work absolutely as intended.

wish GTK would work more toward cross compatibility
              Wish with pull requests, or STFU.

Comment

Originally posted by flashmozzg View Post
                It is though. Qt uses zero extensions or compiler plugins. It's just a straight up standard C++ code with an accompanying boilerplate generator (that also generates standard C++ code and is optional if you are ok with writing slightly more boilerplate yourself).
                standard has strings and containers, qt uses its own. qt boilerplate generator is clear indication of qt devs ability to use c++, i know two other signal libraries which do not need boilerplate generators, they can do it in c++. optional, but still used by everyone. and don't forget evil lower case macros

Comment

I hate these days where there always has to be two versions of every app. GTK3 apps work like hell on non-Gnome systems, so somebody has to make a Qt version, and while the Qt version of an app works fine on Gnome, it doesn’t “fit the look” so somebody makes a GTK version.

wish GTK would work more toward cross compatibility with non-gnome systems if so many developers are dead-set on using such a broken toolkit.
                  I don't know what you are smoking but I have 0 issues with running gtk3 programs on KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                    what could they possibly offer us that we don't already have? Transparent Gaussian Blur Backgrounds just to compete with KDE?
                    They can't compete with wobbly windows

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      standard has strings and containers, qt uses its own. qt boilerplate generator is clear indication of qt devs ability to use c++, i know two other signal libraries which do not need boilerplate generators, they can do it in c++. optional, but still used by everyone. and don't forget evil lower case macros
                      not using std != not using C++. While I'm sympathetic to replacing QList, QVector, etc (With the exclusion of QStringList) ... just why are you guys so obsessive on std::string? Basically everyone acknowledges that std::string's string handling is shit, and basically every large scale C++ framework recognizes that and throws it out. In Unreal we have FText, in the aforementioned WxWidgets there's the WxString, etc...

Comment

Working...
                      X