Thunderbird 68.0 Released As A Big Update For The Mozilla Mail Client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use birdtray for minimizing thunderbird to system tray:

It's a bit more complicated as you have to manually select the files for the equivalent thunderbird accounts you want to monitor. But it is modern and actively maintained.

It is available in AUR for arch and here's my personal package for Fedora:

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post
      Yes, everything could be much easier if Mozilla would just get the job done by themselves, but hey...
      Thunderbird isn't developed by Mozilla anymore.

Thunderbird is an independent project with its legal and financial home at the Mozilla Foundation. The Mozilla Foundation believes the Internet is a global public resource that must remain open and accessible to all. It is focused on advocacy issues and keeping the Internet healthy, but is also the sole shareholder in the maker of Firefox, the Mozilla Corporation. Mozilla exerts no governance over the project, which instead falls to the Thunderbird Council, elected by the Thunderbird project’s community. The Mozilla Foundation became Thunderbird’s home after an exploration of legal homes in 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
        Nice! I look forward for Thunderbird for Android...
        Does not make much sense. The Thunderbird GUI is not really suited to mobile use, and if you need to redesign the GUI for something that is as basic as a mail client you are basically making 2 different products.

Thunderbird project ha barely enough manpower to maintain what they inherited from Mozilla.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
          I still have to reinstall the Minimize to Tray Reanimated addon every few boots.
          Use the "dev" version and disable automatic updates: https://github.com/ysard/mintrayr/releases

EDIT: I have just tested this add-on with TB 68 and sadly it doesn't work anymore. Will stay with TB 60 for now...
          Last edited by George99; 29 August 2019, 06:32 AM. Reason: Update

Comment

Originally posted by edenist View Post

Why not just use K-9?
            I use it but I guess Thunderbird will be better...

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Does not make much sense. The Thunderbird GUI is not really suited to mobile use, and if you need to redesign the GUI for something that is as basic as a mail client you are basically making 2 different products.

Thunderbird project ha barely enough manpower to maintain what they inherited from Mozilla.
            An Android version is on their radar since a very long time but the lack of manpower is their limitation. It would be a tremendous asset having a mobile version of Thunderbird.
            Last edited by Danielsan; 29 August 2019, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
              A new version which meant that the program was rewritten from scratch
              That sounds terrible and is typically indicative of bad software engineering. Are you being sarcastic?

I agree with these crazy version numbers, but rewriting something from scratch is very different from adding new features/major re-factoring.

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post

Use the "dev" version and disable automatic updates: https://github.com/ysard/mintrayr/releases

EDIT: I have just tested this add-on with TB 68 and sadly it doesn't work anymore. Will stay with TB 60 for now...
                Yes, I have been using the dev version all along, and also disabled automatic updates. There's just a bug that causes it to need to be reinstalled every few boots. However I learned to live with it as I typically suspend my computer and only reboot every week or so.

As for it not working with TB 68, that's why my original post started with "Oh good god no." Mozilla developers have never cared about breaking extensions, which is one of the reasons people are flocking from their products. It's a shame because the products themselves are actually very good. But by constantly breaking browser and email client extensions they've rendered their products close to unusable.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Does not make much sense. The Thunderbird GUI is not really suited to mobile use
                  The same can be said for SoftMaker Office, but they adapted the desktop UI to Android with little changes and it works just fine. So if they can do it, then so can Thunderbird.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

It really makes little difference. Seriously if you have a version 11 or an older system say 10.1 the numbers mean little without context. You still have to refer to documentation to understand what the delta is all about.
                    If you know what is considered to be the API, you can make expectations. You should expect that an upgrade from 10.1.* to 11.*.* will introduce breaking changes, and that you might need to spend some time getting things to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                      The same can be said for SoftMaker Office, but they adapted the desktop UI to Android with little changes and it works just fine. So if they can do it, then so can Thunderbird.
                      If you actually read the full post I explain why.

A mail client "backend" (i.e. the part that actually fetches email from server and stores them around) is not a particularly hard thing to do in 2019. Thunderbird's "mail backend" isn't much different from any other Android mail application.

A Office suite is not really the same thing. Writing, pagination, tables and spreadsheets and all that (draw and whatever) isn't just GUI, there is a rendering engine and code to deal with calculations and graphs in the spreadsheets. Whatever you show in the "page" or "spreadsheet" window on a desktop office you will also show on a mobile Office suite.
                      That's a significant "backend" to the GUI part.

99% of Thunderbird's value is it's GUI component, and that is worthless for mobile.

A "Thunderbird for Android" would be an application that shares nearly no code with desktop thunderbird. It would just be branding "Thunderbird" an otherwise independent Android Mail application.

Why not just contribute to K-9 Mail instead?

Comment

Working...
                      X