No announcement yet.

Thunderbird 68.0 Released As A Big Update For The Mozilla Mail Client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice! I look forward for Thunderbird for Android...

Comment

This version has wayland support right??

Comment

Oh good god no. I can only imagine what they're going to break this time.

After months of back and forth attempts I finally got a minimize on boot and minimize to try solution working, but I still have to reinstall the Minimize to Tray Reanimated addon every few boots. And the poor guy developing it essentially said he's giving up, and can't keep up with the constant Thunderbird changes.

And for minimize on startup I have to use a kludgey python solution that must be custom tuned depending upon what else is happening at boot.

But what can I do? I not only have huge volumes of email now, but archives going all the way back to 2006. And despite numerous attempts to reliably convert them to something else I've never been successful. And I simply can't afford to lose my email.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
          And it’s still completely useless because I can’t minimize it to the systray meaning it wastes space on my taskbar. Sigh.
          But it can - not without AddOn, though: with FireTray: https://github.com/Ximi1970/FireTray/releases, which may not work as AddOns are only to work if the author has updated it for this version ...
          But at least no one needs to update as no new advisories were issued (or they forgot to update their security site, 60.8 is currently the last version containing security fixes).
          Maybe the jump of 8 major versions give a hint to the work of AddOn developers work - and after such a long time suddenly the lightning version should be adjusted to the thunderbird one.
          SecurityFixes - we have Spectre & Meltdown, Wayland - may be usable when Thunderbirds version has three digits.
          So yes - I don't understand why the FireTray behaviour is not the default one without needing any AddOn.
          And FireTray can directly show all unread messages by a number - and I am not aware of anything else doing the job.
          Even under fvwm (in 1994 ... oh dear - 25 years back such a feature was normal - ough!) there was a mailbox showing new incoming messages - and such a basic feature is still missing.
          I just wonder if the developers are using Thunderbird themselves AND are caring about their mails.
          Last edited by JMB9; 28 August 2019, 06:45 PM.

Comment

I never thought about this tray thing. In Unity7 applications don't take more space than their launcher. This is the best DE so far, why nobody step up to maintain it yet?

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

I'm sick of marketing-oriented versioning schemes as well. I wish people stuck to a scheme that defines what different version bumps mean, like semver.
              It really makes little difference. Seriously if you have a version 11 or an older system say 10.1 the numbers mean little without context. You still have to refer to documentation to understand what the delta is all about.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

What I have been wondering is... why don't they do so, if it is clear people want it?
                Maybe people don’t want it! There are some window manager behaviors I hate, one being apps going full screen when you near the top of the screen (Windows10). As far as system trays I’m not a big fan. I’d rather that the screen be kept clean for the things I want.

Comment

Smartcard access still not present in Flatpak version…

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

Maybe people don’t want it! There are some window manager behaviors I hate, one being apps going full screen when you near the top of the screen (Windows10). As far as system trays I’m not a big fan. I’d rather that the screen be kept clean for the things I want.
                    We can also go for the Settings approach: Provide an option to toggle minimizing to tray. This way we fulfill the needs of both groups.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
                      Nice! I look forward for Thunderbird for Android...
                      Why not just use K-9?

Comment

Working...
                      X