Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFmpeg Adds AMD AMF Vulkan Support For Linux Users

Phoronix: FFmpeg Adds AMD AMF Vulkan Support For Linux Users

The FFmpeg library up to this point has supported AMD's Advanced Media Framework (AMF) library just on Windows for H.264/HEVC encoding on GPUs. The Windows code-path makes use of DirectX while now AMD AMF support for Linux via Vulkan is now exposed by the latest FFmpeg code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There has been work for Vulkan-hwcontexts a while back, but nothing ever came of it.
    See for example https://patchwork.ffmpeg.org/patch/8231/ and https://github.com/atomnuker/FFmpeg/commits/exp_vulkan

Comment

I want Vulkan to be: The one true, powerful, extremely fastly evolving, extremely developer friendly, extremely wide coverage, extremely standardized, extremely well tested implementations, extremely extensible and extremely wide adoption API.

I really hope Vulkan eats all video/image/ computing/audio/... APIs and so becomes a true DirectX opponent: OpenCL, OpenVG, OpenVX, OpenXR, OpenKCam, OpenMAX, OpenAL, OpenSL, OpenWF, StreamInput...

Basically what Directx and SDL want to be, but:
      - Standardized.
      - Very vastly evolved: Don't be as slow in development and new features such as other Khronos Group standards (most of them abandoned or rarely used), SDL, DirectX, Allegro, SFML, FMOD etc
      - Very broad coverage.
      - Widely adopted.
      - Widely multiplatform.
      - Multiple implementations available.
      - Compatibility suite.
      - Developer friendly.

Please make it happen. AMD, new serious instead following the ridicule Mantle way, instead work to extend Vulkan for EVERYTHING.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        I want Vulkan to be: The one true, powerful, extremely fastly evolving, extremely developer friendly, extremely wide coverage, extremely standardized, extremely well tested implementations, extremely extensible and extremely wide adoption API.

I really hope Vulkan eats all video/image/ computing/audio/... APIs and so becomes a true DirectX opponent: OpenCL, OpenVG, OpenVX, OpenXR, OpenKCam, OpenMAX, OpenAL, OpenSL, OpenWF, StreamInput...

Basically what Directx and SDL want to be, but:
        - Standardized.
        - Very vastly evolved: Don't be as slow in development and new features such as other Khronos Group standards (most of them abandoned or rarely used), SDL, DirectX, Allegro, SFML, FMOD etc
        - Very broad coverage.
        - Widely adopted.
        - Widely multiplatform.
        - Multiple implementations available.
        - Compatibility suite.
        - Developer friendly.

Please make it happen. AMD, new serious instead following the ridicule Mantle way, instead work to extend Vulkan for EVERYTHING.
        uhh, you know AMD's Mantle turned into Vulkan, yeah? and as for being everything to everyone here is the obligatory https://xkcd.com/927/

Comment

Do we have to thank the patent situation around H.265 that we don't see AMD's AMF supporting it on Linux? Or is it coming later on?

Comment

I also hope that Vulkan furthers the hw video landscape (especially on Linux) by unifying the support of all major vendors. The current video API fragmentation on Linux makes it hard e.g. for Chromium to support this functionality in an easy to support way.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

uhh, you know AMD's Mantle turned into Vulkan, yeah? and as for being everything to everyone here is the obligatory https://xkcd.com/927/
              Yes, but they didn't develop it in consensus. This made the development of the standard get a lot more slower and needed to evolve by tons of extensions for features that should exist since day zero.

AMD could save the day again and make "Vulkan Next", aka Vulkan 2.0.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

I also hope that Vulkan furthers the hw video landscape (especially on Linux) by unifying the support of all major vendors. The current video API fragmentation on Linux makes it hard e.g. for Chromium to support this functionality in an easy to support way.
                You mean VAAPI which works for everything? It can even map to vdpau for NVIDIA users.
                the only bad player here is Nvidia with its new (nobody asked for) NVENC/NVDEC and I don’t see this change by yet another video acceleration api

Comment

Originally posted by Mani View Post
                  You mean VAAPI which works for everything? It can even map to vdpau for NVIDIA users.
                  the only bad player here is Nvidia with its new (nobody asked for) NVENC/NVDEC and I don’t see this change by yet another video acceleration api
                  I wouldn't mind VAAPI either, but as you mentioned yourself the support on Nvidia is not perfect and that vdpau-wrapper is an additional source of potential errors.

Comment

Yes, but they didn't develop it in consensus. This made the development of the standard get a lot more slower and needed to evolve by tons of extensions for features that should exist since day zero.

AMD could save the day again and make "Vulkan Next", aka Vulkan 2.0.
                    Consensus takes a long time:
                    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Working...
                    X