FFmpeg Adds AMD AMF Vulkan Support For Linux Users

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes!!!
    Now let's adapt my screen recorder to AMF so I can ensure 100% stable 60FPS 4K recording.

Comment

Originally posted by Mani View Post
      You mean VAAPI which works for everything?
      The problem is that I cannot set the compression level/encoding speed through VA-API under AMD (it is forced to the slowest profile). I have to use AMF for that (and yes, I definitely would love to use it because I can't attain perfect 4K60 recording in specific scenes otherwise).

Comment

To use h.264(AMD VCE) encoder on linux amdgru-pro version 19.20+ and
        amf-amdgpu-pro package(amdgru-pro contains, but does not install
        automatically) are required.
        So absolutely useless to 99% of the community who want it working with Mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Yes, but they didn't develop it in consensus. This made the development of the standard get a lot more slower and needed to evolve by tons of extensions for features that should exist since day zero.

AMD could save the day again and make "Vulkan Next", aka Vulkan 2.0.
          yeah, coming up with an idea and proving that it works goes a lot quicker when you don't have to get consensus. Once you have a working prototype you can then throw the doors open and get other peoples thoughts on how things could work, and those people actually have hands on experience with it.

I think the way Vulkan came about and is evolving is quite ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

So absolutely useless to 99% of the community who want it working with Mesa.
            so, it appears that AMF is open source https://github.com/GPUOpen-LibrariesAndSDKs/AMF and has an open SDK https://github.com/GPUOpen-LibrariesAndSDKs/AMF

I guess it is just a matter of packaging

Comment

Yes, but they didn't develop it in consensus. This made the development of the standard get a lot more slower and needed to evolve by tons of extensions for features that should exist since day zero.

AMD could save the day again and make "Vulkan Next", aka Vulkan 2.0.
              it's unclear how vulkan next will get more consensus or less development of less extensions

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                it's unclear how vulkan next will get more consensus or less development of less extensions
                Not less extensions, but a giant bunch of them at one that covers all features exposed by APIs such as DirectX and Khronos Group ones.

Faster consensus? That's what I would like to, but I guess it's extremely difficult to make it happen.

Comment

Not less extensions, but a giant bunch of them at one that covers all features exposed by APIs such as DirectX and Khronos Group ones.

Faster consensus? That's what I would like to, but I guess it's extremely difficult to make it happen.
                  This is maybe the worst way you could do this. Khronos has already done this once and we all know what a debacle OpenCL was...
                  It is much more reasonable to build a small core and then add things as their needs arise, this way you do not end up with a hundred things nobody uses but hardware vendors still have to implement.
                  Making a standard too big from the beginning most of the time ends up with nobody using it.
                  I think the vulkan development as it is now is quite okay, some things may take longer than on other platforms (e.g. raytracing) but in the long run it will result in a superior standard

Comment

Working...
                  X