X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    I've had co-workers come to me saying code gets erased when they typed, I went over to their computer and pressed the "Insert" button on the keyboard. These people are developers.
    Sounds like the average Rust dev.

Leave a comment:

• AsciiWolf
    replied
    Well, I hope this could at least lead to fixing some bugs in GNOME Shell, GNOME Software and other important parts of the GNOME desktop, where many bugs stay unfixed because "there is not enough money and developers to work on them".

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Maybe a GTK application with a OpenGL context that renders a turtle and then program it in JavaScript and/or Python, and a graphical drag-and-drop UI where you drag code blocks such as if, while, for, and foreach loops and arrange them in order.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    I've had co-workers come to me saying code gets erased when they typed, I went over to their computer and pressed the "Insert" button on the keyboard. These people are developers.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    I don't think they'd like my proposals of "Drop CSD" and "GTK4 should be a GTK3 compat layer to QT5".

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
    Someone needs to check their math, 20 winners of $6500 = $130000; 5 winners of $25000 = $125000; the final winner gets $100000 and the runner up gets $25000.

$130,000+$125,000+$100,000+$25,000 = $380,000, where's the extra $120,000?
    administrative costs (i.e. someone steals 90% of it, the rest is actually used to pay expenses)

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Letting their code be erased is probably a good thing.

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    I don't think coding education is needed, those who want to learn can easily learn by themselves.
    I certainly agree when it comes to being a developer as a career. However I think kids having general knowledge of how code works (and thus how a computer works) is useful. Otherwise they really will just treat it like a magic box and get into the cycle of consuming. For example grabbing a Raspberry Pi (or an old Thinkpad) and a few very simple scripts to play some videos from the internet rather than purchasing some iCrap to rent the privilege is the best outcome.

Leave a comment:

• Spooktra
    replied
    Someone needs to check their math, 20 winners of $6500 = $130000; 5 winners of $25000 = $125000; the final winner gets $100000 and the runner up gets $25000.

$130,000+$125,000+$100,000+$25,000 = $380,000, where's the extra $120,000?

Leave a comment:

• L_A_G
    replied
    Let's hope this outreach isn't geographically limited to the U.S like their most well known outreach effort. When you limit a supposed outreach effort to a single country it's not really much of an outreach effort no matter how hard you try to set it up. Also doesn't exactly help alleviate the common image of Americans thinking of themselves as the center of the universe and the rest of the world as something that should stay out if it's way and bombed into a parking lot if it doesn't.

After all Google's GSoC is also an excellent outreach effort and emulating it, even if tangentially, is always a good idea.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X