No announcement yet.

GNOME Launches Coding Education Challenge With $500k In Funding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think they'd like my proposals of "Drop CSD" and "GTK4 should be a GTK3 compat layer to QT5".

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I've had co-workers come to me saying code gets erased when they typed, I went over to their computer and pressed the "Insert" button on the keyboard. These people are developers.

Comment

Maybe a GTK application with a OpenGL context that renders a turtle and then program it in JavaScript and/or Python, and a graphical drag-and-drop UI where you drag code blocks such as if, while, for, and foreach loops and arrange them in order.

Comment

Well, I hope this could at least lead to fixing some bugs in GNOME Shell, GNOME Software and other important parts of the GNOME desktop, where many bugs stay unfixed because "there is not enough money and developers to work on them".

Comment

I've had co-workers come to me saying code gets erased when they typed, I went over to their computer and pressed the "Insert" button on the keyboard. These people are developers.
            Sounds like the average Rust dev.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              I don't think they'd like my proposals of "Drop CSD" and "GTK4 should be a GTK3 compat layer to QT5".
              I can't wait for browsers to start rolling their own methods of rendering decoration then to support a feature supported on macOS and Windows.

Comment

Everyone has to discover something for the first time, just because they haven't found out how the Insert key works doesn't mean that they can't program well:

Comment

Originally posted by uid313.
                  I don't think coding education is needed, those who want to learn can easily learn by themselves. I don't think coding should be pushed upon everyone, else you have to work with people who work as programmers even though they should have been plumbers, mechanics or or carpenters. These people produce shitty code, and have no understanding of a computer.

While anyone is encouraged to join, it does not mean they are *forced* to. If they don't want to join, they can simply ignore the program.
                  Let's hope this will do something because I'm tired of his

Comment

Originally posted by AsciiWolf View Post
                    Well, I hope this could at least lead to fixing some bugs in GNOME Shell, GNOME Software and other important parts of the GNOME desktop, where many bugs stay unfixed because "there is not enough money and developers to work on them".
                    To be honest I doubt this will be the case because the outcome of this program most likely will be semi-experienced programmers that wouldn't like to stay in the project.

First it was diversity, now inclusion, and what's the future? Forced inclusion?

Comment

Trolling software releases is one thing. But those who troll a half-million-dollar coding education challenge really need to do some more self-reflection, and probably some more therapy sessions.

Comment

Working...
                      X