Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Ending Out August With Various Fixes & Other Enhancements

Phoronix: KDE Ending Out August With Various Fixes & Other Enhancements

As the end of the summer nears and KDE's Akademy conference approaches, development is busy as ever on this open-source desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is it possible to change the orientation of the Spectacle UI? The older KSnapshot used a top-bottom layout, but Spectacle uses a left-right one.

Comment

Plasma and kwin desperately need some attention especially on Wayland. I do not see the necessary improvements there and often enough bugs do not get addressed timely. Sure UI changes and improvements are nice, but it only is nice to have.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        R41N3R Maybe they should join forces with mutter. They got plenty of developers.
        Looks like the next DebianXFCE is born. And I thought we were finally rid of him.

Comment

A UI overhaul to the KDE Information Center's Energy page.
          This didn't show anything for ages (months) with openSUSE TW.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
            Plasma and kwin desperately need some attention especially on Wayland. I do not see the necessary improvements there and often enough bugs do not get addressed timely. Sure UI changes and improvements are nice, but it only is nice to have.
            This reports are from Visual Design Group, an effort to get better UX on Plasma and KDE apps. This is not the full development from KDE team.

For kwin you can see what is been happening here: https://phabricator.kde.org/project/board/98/
            For plasma on wayland here: https://phabricator.kde.org/tag/plasma_on_wayland/

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
              I really hope the Wayland initiative gets enough votes. Wayland feels buttery smooth, but the bugs let it down. I've got window focus issues up the kazoo, pixelation with kscreen-doctor scaling, occasional shell crashes, and there's a ton of quirks such as no wacom support, no window previews, etc.

Comment

I gave up on Plasma because of Wayland issues, now I'm using Gnome
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                  I gave up on Plasma because of Wayland issues, now I'm using Gnome
                  Gnome's Wayland (3.32) was even more unstable for me than Plasma. I got artifacting in certain windows when resizing, slowdowns with the cursor, heavy cpu and ram usage, and i had the shell crash on me once (the slowdowns were constant throughout the experience). It did not feel smooth at all at any point in usage (compared to XFCE or Plasma wayland/x11 with kwin-lowlatency). Plasma would have a few minutes in-between issues where things would work and feel fine, plus resource usage has never been an issue for me there, it's just that there's 100s issues that aren't fixed and the bugs intermittently decide to ruin the experience.
                  Last edited by Baguy; 26 August 2019, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post
                    Gnome's Wayland (3.32) was even more unstable for me than Plasma.
                    Let's see how it goes, because I don't use Gnome since a long time. Currently I'm running Fedora 30 on Raptor's Blackbird Power 9 with an RX 570.
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X