X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timofonic
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Exactly. Regardless of how much I like, use, and prefer open source software, there are enough cases where proprietary solutions are just better, more user friendly, have better features, etc that it isn't even worth mentioning programs by name or what they do.

For anyone who doesn't get the joke, timofonic listed like 13 or 14 pieces of proprietary software and wanted to know how well the programs ran under two open source solutions and one closed source solution. Something like 42 scenarios & 126 hours if one did the bare minimum of trying each program in each environment and attempting solutions for just an hour. IMHO, that's a lot of shit to ask for in a forum comment

I guess $111.11 an hour is a little steep, but, then again, someone would have to buy 14 programs and Crossover so it'd be more like $90-$100/hr
    You got it too!

And this is why FOSS needs a lot more work than people think.

There's lots of work to do to reach the feature and user friendliness of certain proprietary software, specially in complex stuff related to design (electronics, 3D, graphics, etc.).

But not only that, it's very difficult to test very complex and recent software in Wine. Even more difficult to make it work stable in short time in Wine.

How to make it possible?
    Last edited by timofonic; 24 August 2019, 11:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Indeed...

Despite there exists KiCad, it's not enough for different use cases: It doesn't offer the same feature level of electronics suites Altium Limited and Cadence and Mentor Graphics. Also many companies and universities sold their soul to them too, despite KiCad being more than adequate.
    Exactly. Regardless of how much I like, use, and prefer open source software, there are enough cases where proprietary solutions are just better, more user friendly, have better features, etc that it isn't even worth mentioning programs by name or what they do.

For anyone who doesn't get the joke, timofonic listed like 13 or 14 pieces of proprietary software and wanted to know how well the programs ran under two open source solutions and one closed source solution. Something like 42 scenarios & 126 hours if one did the bare minimum of trying each program in each environment and attempting solutions for just an hour. IMHO, that's a lot of shit to ask for in a forum comment

I guess $111.11 an hour is a little steep, but, then again, someone would have to buy 14 programs and Crossover so it'd be more like $90-$100/hr

Leave a comment:

• timofonic
    replied

Dude, STFU. I need money.
    Indeed...

Despite there exists KiCad, it's not enough for different use cases: It doesn't offer the same feature level of electronics suites Altium Limited and Cadence and Mentor Graphics. Also many companies and universities sold their soul to them too, despite KiCad being more than adequate.
    Last edited by timofonic; 24 August 2019, 12:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepsz View Post

Ask from your mother...
    She owes ~7K in taxes and bills...the half down I asked for

Leave a comment:

• Kepsz
    replied

Ask from your mother...

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepsz View Post

Sadly, the current Altium designer does not work under any versions of Wine. Strangely, it did worked in the past.

Tina8 and LTSpice works with wine. (I'm using wine 4.14)
    Instead of the extremely expensive electrical cad software like AD or Mentor, Eagle has a native Linux port, that works fine. It's very good for hobby projects.

Leave a comment:

• Kepsz
    replied
    I'm very interested in latest ultimate versions of:
    - Electronics software: Ultiboard & Multisim, Altium Designer, Cadence Allegro & Friends, Solidworks PCB, DipTrace, OrCAD, PCB123, MentorPCB, TINA, Proteus...
    - Latest CAD and 3D software.
    - Latest Microsoft Office.

Can anybody test them on latest Wine, Wine Staging, Codeweavers and such?
    Sadly, the current Altium designer does not work under any versions of Wine. Strangely, it did worked in the past.

Tina8 and LTSpice works with wine. (I'm using wine 4.14)
    Instead of the extremely expensive electrical cad software like AD or Mentor, Eagle has a native Linux port, that works fine. It's very good for hobby projects.

Leave a comment:

• timofonic
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon

He, he, Ultimate and Latest is hardest to support, as any of these apps or whatever else apps on latest & "greatest" might break anytime
    That's the reason the software is interesting to test: To uncover bugs in newest and more complex software and raise the Windows compatibility bar.

I just found this...

EDA/Measurement section: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...e+Applications

CAD/CAE section: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...e+Applications

Originally posted by kneekoo View Post
    That's an expensive and long list of software. How exactly can you expect (or hope for) someone to have them and test them extensively... I have no clue. Maybe someone in a university has some of those. But considering the price, I wouldn't be surprised if they had online activation mechanisms and maybe an activation count that people wouldn't want to mess with.
    That's why I ask publicly about it: Maybe some people have access to one of them.

I plan to ask on electronics forums, but most of them just rely on Microsoft operating systems and aren't Linux savvy enough to submit good bug reports.

I consider to be an extremely good thing to make Wine be compatible with the most complex, twisted and extreme forms of DRM.

OK, $14,000 USD; half down, remainder upon completion.
    Ask CodeWeavers and IBM, I heard they have plenty of money

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    I'm very interested in latest ultimate versions of:
    - Electronics software: Ultiboard & Multisim, Altium Designer, Cadence Allegro & Friends, Solidworks PCB, DipTrace, OrCAD, PCB123, MentorPCB, TINA, Proteus...
    - Latest CAD and 3D software.
    - Latest Microsoft Office.

Can anybody test them on latest Wine, Wine Staging, Codeweavers and such?
    OK, $14,000 USD; half down, remainder upon completion.

Leave a comment:

• kneekoo
    replied
    That's an expensive and long list of software. How exactly can you expect (or hope for) someone to have them and test them extensively... I have no clue. Maybe someone in a university has some of those. But considering the price, I wouldn't be surprised if they had online activation mechanisms and maybe an activation count that people wouldn't want to mess with.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X