Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfce 4.16 Should Be Out Next Year But Without GTK4 Or Wayland

Phoronix: Xfce 4.16 Should Be Out Next Year But Without GTK4 Or Wayland

With Xfce 4.14 having finally been released last week following a four year development cycle, prominent Xfce developer Simon Steinbeiß has begun talking about the now-started Xfce 4.16 development cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder what debianxfce *cough* I mean debiangamer thinks about this

Comment

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I guess that's why some people prefer Xfce.

Comment

It is on Wayland; just not writing to the framebuffer directly like it is from the 90's running on DOS.

Instead it uses an underlying protocol that allows for the GUI to be passed through a network as instructions and for a concept of "multiple sessions" to exist. It is similar in design to Microsoft RDP and in this day and age of cloud computing it is the future of all GUI systems.

Can't remember what that technology is called. I think it is X11 and you can access it using the modern GUI viewer app called Xwayland.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
          It is on Wayland; just not writing to the framebuffer directly like it is from the 90's running on DOS.

Instead it uses an underlying protocol that allows for the GUI to be passed through a network as instructions and for a concept of "multiple sessions" to exist. It is similar in design to Microsoft RDP and in this day and age of cloud computing it is the future of all GUI systems.

Can't remember what that technology is called. I think it is X11 and you can access it using the modern GUI viewer app called Xwayland.
          1. Applications and desktops haven't been using X11 like that for a LONG time (To the point that, if you're running a compositing desktop, all the X server is really doing is "terrible, terrible IPC" which involves hundreds or thousands of round-trips with unpredictable latency just to get your initial window.)
          2. Last I checked, Weston actually supported Microsoft RDP as a remoting protocol.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
            1. Applications and desktops haven't been using X11 like that for a LONG time (To the point that, if you're running a compositing desktop, all the X server is really doing is "terrible, terrible IPC" which involves hundreds or thousands of round-trips with unpredictable latency just to get your initial window.)
            2. Last I checked, Weston actually supported Microsoft RDP as a remoting protocol.
            No I am not running a compositing desktop. X11 forwarding (via SSH or NoMachine) still remains the fastest way of remote work. Massively still in use.

Weston has no concept of what it is drawing; so at best can only send a compressed raster (like VNC).

Comment

I used XFCE recently, it works decently and such, prefer it over gnome, but imo Plasma5 just works better if your a media / gamer person.

Comment

XFCE is great. This is good news.

Comment

Originally posted by retardxfce View Post
                  I wonder what debianxfce *cough* I mean debiangamer thinks about this
                  "Wayland and Gnome are IBM sponsored projects to prevent the linux desktop success. Use Debian testing Xfce with the Whisker menu and 1000Hz AMD wip kernel blah blah blah"

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

No I am not running a compositing desktop. X11 forwarding (via SSH or NoMachine) still remains the fastest way of remote work. Massively still in use.

Weston has no concept of what it is drawing; so at best can only send a compressed raster (like VNC).
                    X11 only has a "concept of what it's drawing" (which by the way is better or worse, depending on the situation) if the app uses Xlib, XtIntrinsics etc. Virtually all modern apps are based on GTK or Qt with client based rendering. Locally they use the GPU and when ran remotely, they essentially just push a video stream across the network, just like VNC. In other words switching to RDP and Wayland will make zero difference in that regard.

Comment

Working...
                    X