OBS Studio 24.0 Will Let You Pause While Recording, Other New Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBS Studio 24.0 Will Let You Pause While Recording, Other New Options

Phoronix: OBS Studio 24.0 Will Let You Pause While Recording, Other New Options

For those using OBS Studio for cross-platform live-streaming and screen recording needs, OBS Studio 24.0 is on the way but out first is their release candidate to vet the new features coming into this big update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does it support Vulkan? The DirectX backend is a lot faster than OpenGL under Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Does it support Vulkan? The DirectX backend is a lot faster than OpenGL under Windows.
      No. There's a profiler in the logger that shows timings, I haven't looked at them awhile. What's the difference in performance?

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post

No. There's a profiler in the logger that shows timings, I haven't looked at them awhile. What's the difference in performance?
        A lot. Using DirectX on this laptop gives me 1080p recording at 60 FPS, and doesn't clog up the UI. Using OpenGL only yields 20 FPS, and slows down the UI.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

A lot. Using DirectX on this laptop gives me 1080p recording at 60 FPS, and doesn't clog up the UI. Using OpenGL only yields 20 FPS, and slows down the UI.
          You can't really measure in FPS unfortunately. I also wouldn't use OpenGL on Windows. That said, I don't remember such a large difference though I guess it depends on what you put in your scenes. I would post on their forum with your log.

Comment

I would love to see an option to use nearest neighbor for scaling of inputs, as it would make a lot of sense when dealing with low resolution content. It seems that this feature was requested back in the OBS days, but I haven't found if anyone even requested it for obs-studio.

Comment

Recording via Xcomposite + VAAPI costs ~10% performance here. It's not great, but it's bearable for some occasions.
              When encoding on Polaris, the captured video has broken performance. But probably not OBS' fault, as it works with the Skylake IGP. That being said, I'm happy that they have improved capture compatibility with this version, e.g. in Heroes of the Storm.

Though I wished the VAAPI plugin would offer more encoder options (preferably all offered by ffmpeg).

Comment

Working...
              X