KDE Usability & Productivity Initiative Coming To An End

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post

Well, discover sucked, but it has been greatly improving. I've never used it for system packages, though, I am too afraid of missing important warning/notices that pacman tells me (as well as minor ones, like "new optional dependencies").
    Discover actually shows you a log panel for system updates on Arch-based systems that inform you of messages like these!

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

What do you mean by "because the app doesn't provide a link for that." Are you talking about distros like Arch that don't provide debug symbols so the crash reports are useless? Or something else?
      Well, I'm not sure that's the exact message ("the app doesn't provide a link"), but the rest of the sequence should tell you enough about the problem: you're being asked to report an issue, you agree, you're being told you can't actually report the problem.
      If I manage to crash something in the next few days, I'll come back here and post the actual message.
      Last edited by bug77; 08-19-2019, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Well, I'm not sure that's the exact message ("the app doesn't provide a link"), but the rest of the sequence should tell you enough about the problem: you're being asked to report an issue, you agree, you're being told you can't actually report the problem.
        If I manage to crash something in the next few days, I'll come back here and post the actual message.
        If the apps in question are 3rd-party apps, that problem was actually just fixed a few days ago, to be released in Plasma 5.17!

Comment

Discover actually shows you a log panel for system updates on Arch-based systems that inform you of messages like these!
          Thanks for the clarification! I might be less afraid of using it now! I tried it when it was first announced, but that wasn't the case then (that I know of), so I uninstalled packagekit :P

Also I apologize for the rant-y message, I was a bit tired. KDE is a collection of great pieces of software, usually with very good code quality, and a trove of functionality. Keep it coming, I'll keep donating (money or time, whichever one I have at my disposal).

Edit: however, I believe in good French spirit[1] that only by criticizing the sticking points we can make thing progress, and the status quo often isn't enough

[1] I went curious and looked that up, interesting read.
          Last edited by [email protected]; 08-19-2019, 10:22 AM.

Comment

If the apps in question are 3rd-party apps, that problem was actually just fixed a few days ago, to be released in Plasma 5.17!
            Come to think about, it may have been about 3rd party apps. And if it's fixed, I'm gonna enjoy that (Arch user here, I'll get the new version shortly). Love you, guys.

Comment

One irritating but minor bug I always experience in KDE is when you select Special Window Settings > Size & Position > Position and select for it to rememeber on the left edge (0,0) at some point the first parameter always gets set to either -6 or -2 for some arbitrary reason. Really annoying but doesn't happen often though. Otherwise this initiative has been really great and lots of bugs are being squashed thanks to it.

Comment

I wished they adopted the other simpler start menu as default....

The one used now is too unpractical. You have to search in sub-menus to find options that should be available right away, like the power-off button. I believe it is the reason so many new users turn away from KDE, calling it bloated and too complicated.
                With a Right-Click on the menu, you should be able to switch to the fullscreen (named 'Application Dashboard') menu (with 'exit' options in the lower right corner).

Or, you could 'edit applications' and copy the 'shutdown' item to your 'favorites', which appears within the first column of 'Application Launcher'.

I think that they both work pretty well - but I agree with schmerl in post #4 (https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/phoronix/latest-phoronix-articles/1120192-kde-usability-productivity-initiative-coming-to-an-end?p=1120251#post1120251). The icon spacing in the fullscreen 'Dashboard' should be configurable as a property, so that the full icon text can be shown (rather than truncated).

Comment

Originally posted by rickst29 View Post
                  Or, you could 'edit applications' and copy the 'shutdown' item to your 'favorites', which appears within the first column of 'Application Launcher'.
                  There's a widget for leave and lock screen that you place straight on the taskbar/panel

Comment

Open source software tends to be cutting edge in some regards (where people are interested), while subpar in others. Search takes a lot of resources, at the wrong time. Indexation should only occur when nothing else needs the system (disk, network, CPU, RAM). I had to disable it on a lot of systems that were ram-constrained with a slow HDD -- or even SSDs. Due to Linux's poor handling of low-memory cases, all right, but that's no excuse for pulling this out when someone (a non techie) is actually working on their computer.

I'm always sad when I disable it, because the search functionality (especially full-text for PDFs) is top-notch
                    I agree. Theoretically it seems amazing, but it sucks in practice. It's like politics and drugs, IMHO.

I hope KDE people make KDE sucks less instead focusing too much in adding new features most of the time.

Comment

Working...
                    X