Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Applications 19.08 Released With Dolphin Improvements, Better Konsole Tiling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Applications 19.08 Released With Dolphin Improvements, Better Konsole Tiling

Phoronix: KDE Applications 19.08 Released With Dolphin Improvements, Better Konsole Tiling

The KDE community has delivered the release of KDE Applications 19.08 as their newest feature updates to the core collection of KDE programs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Please ping me when they drop Plasma and replace it with something faster, leaner, more PC-oriented and not crashy.
    Last edited by tildearrow; 15 August 2019, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Please ping me when this guy stops complaining in every single article about KDE:
      Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Please ping me when they drop Plasma and replace it with something faster, leaner, more PC-oriented and not crashy.

Comment

A. Your rant is completely off-topic. Plasma != KDE applications. Not event closely related.
        B. KDE, at least under Fedora is __very__ stable. I have ~30 machines running KDE-latest under F30 and F29 and we're facing zero issues.
        C. Most of these machine are low-end and/or ancient i3/i5/i7 with 8-16GB RAM (development workstations).
        D. Last and not least, if you don't like Plasma, whats the point in using KDE when you can use XFCE/Mate instead and use KDE applications (Hint: The topic of the thread) without being forced to use "Plasma"...

- Gilboa
        Last edited by gilboa; 15 August 2019, 10:15 AM.
        oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
        oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
        oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
        Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

birdie : Plasma is faster and leaner than concurrents : https://www.hecticgeek.com/2019/08/l...nnamon-review/

Comment

Ping.

Comment

7) I need to see the current temperature and weather conditions.
              Install a weather app.

A DE doesn't need to do everything, applications exist for a reason.

Comment

My Plasma is sitting at under 150MB right now (uptime .4:23, so it's not freshly started either). How much leaner do you need? Also, faster than what?
                Last edited by tildearrow; 15 August 2019, 03:32 PM.

Comment

I have kwin_x11 using 47mb and plasmashell using 260mb with dozens of applications open (including virtualbox, thunderbird, firefox and 3 libreoffice windows..all pretty heavy applications) while using two 4k displays. Seems pretty reasonable to me. Can't say I've had a problem with stability since 5.0.1 was launched, and I'm running bleeding edge of course YMMV, but you posted a very misleading blanket statement.
                  Last edited by tildearrow; 15 August 2019, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Install a weather app.

A DE doesn't need to do everything, applications exist for a reason.
                    Actually, Plasma has a weather applet by default. It's pretty barebones, but it does show "the current temperature and weather conditions".

Comment

Working...
                    X