Xfce 4.14 Desktop Officially Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arokh View Post

You're also the only person with that opinion.
    Exactly, I would say that there are *no* usable desktop environments on Linux.

CDE and Gnome 2.14 would have been contenders if they were properly maintained.

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post
      I'm hoping for an automatic touchpad disablement option when my laptop detects a mouse. That's imo the only thing Gnome has over Xfce, but it's a biggie.
      You can achieve that without relying on GUI too..
      devd on FreeBSD/DragonFly, probably some systemd 'knob' in Linux. Once set, you can just forget about it..

Comment

Just in time for Gtk 4

Comment

Great! It's a relief that now we got a ripe base and the problems in Xubuntu may have an end - with 20.04 LTS having the chance to be rock solid.
          To those thinking XFCE is old style: Yes, it is - and that's a good thing!
          If you want fresh (bloated and forcing special workflow) DEs - use one of those and have fun.
          I am using ext4 (no BTRFS or ZFS - I am not in the beta camp but an experienced Unix Consultant ) and XFCE with 4k resolution since 5 years on a 6 year old computer with spinning disk (no SSD) and do wait for full 8k as the next step.
          The lack of XFCE programs as mentioned before is rediculous - a DE should be configurable (GNOME miss) and should go out of the way, to be as invisible as the kernel is.
          I don't need XFCE programs - I use those which fit best to the task and my workflow - using X, GNOME or KDE programs ... it is possible under XFCE - really. )
          A big thank you to all people being involved in the XFCE development - it is very welcome (by those who know how to get work done)!

Comment

9 years after first reported:

Multi-screen support is still broken

0/10

Would not download again.

Comment

Originally posted by fedora-user View Post
              I was a hardcore fan of XFCE until 1.5 year ago but stopped using it due to its old stack/technology, poor applications and lack of advanced features that GNOME and KDE provide, I think with a little tweak, GNOME Shell session and specially GNOME Flashback can be as much lightweight as XFCE.
              XFCE was never as lightweight as it claimed to be. Back during the GNOME2 days, it was touted for its lower memory footprint, even though it was hardly any different at all. Though, it is definitely lighter than modern DEs. There's only so much you can disable until you're getting something less functional.
              Today, I really only use XFCE since it's reliable. LXQt is better if you're tight on RAM. KDE is my overall preferred choice.
              I use all 3 on a regular basis.

Originally posted by Mr.Elendig View Post
              9 years after first reported:

Multi-screen support is still broken
              Broken how? I'm using a multi-screen XFCE setup as I write this. Works fine. Not flawlessly, but any minor glitches are easily fixed after a reboot. So far, I only get 1 glitch with my 2nd display's task bar, which can be fixed by checking on and off one of the settings for it.
              Last edited by schmidtbag; 12 August 2019, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Michael would be nice to see a duel between xfce vs lxqt.

It's a great release. I just hope that they start porting to GTK4 soon and stop being constantly on the back of the (tk) train as they are now.

By the way, can anyone send xfcedebian a postcard?
                this must be a great day for him!
                I wonder why he's so "absent".........

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                  CDE, Motif and Solaris...

...keeping lonely nerds lonely since 1993.

I was so happy when those were deemed dead. Even Fvwm felt glorious when you got away from CDE.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post
                    By the way, can anyone send xfcedebian a postcard?
                    this must be a great day for him!
                    I wonder why he's so "absent".........
                    He was shadow banned & is using another name now.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Exactly, I would say that there are *no* usable desktop environments on Linux.

What is the meaning of "usable" for you? I am interested in what you think about Linux DE.

Comment

Working...
                      X