No announcement yet.

Xfce 4.14 Desktop Officially Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was going to post something else when I realized all my excitement when I first read the 4.14 roadmap years ago has turned into bitterness and that I'm being overly negative so all I'm going to say is "I wish y'all well. Have fun with your new release ".

Comment

4.14 is old and buggy, use teh git!

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
        So xfce 4.16 will have Wayland support through Mir by 2022, right? Or is that a pipe dream?
        Well, the two aren't that closely connected. Getting off GTK2 is a prerequisite for running natively on Wayland, but supporting GTK3 doesn't automatically make that happen — with Gnome, there was still a lot of work removing the hardcoded X11 dependencies (e.g. adopting new GTK APIs that hid the underlying system better), and I assume XFCE will be in the same position. And porting the desktop itself, via Mir or otherwise, is unrelated to the GTK port...

So basically, this release does open the door for Wayland support... but I'd guess it's still a long way off. Going by how long it's taken Gnome and KDE to fully implement Wayland, and how long it's taken XFCE to get this release out, it's hard to see them having something usable _before_ 2022...

Comment

Originally posted by fedora-user View Post
          I was a hardcore fan of XFCE until 1.5 year ago but stopped using it due to its old stack/technology, poor applications and lack of advanced features that GNOME and KDE provide, I think with a little tweak, GNOME Shell session and specially GNOME Flashback can be as much lightweight as XFCE.
          Lol right.. Have you done any research of the memory consumption?

Comment

Originally posted by fedora-user View Post
            GTK4 soonlly will be released and GNOME has finished its initial move to GTK4, now XFCE finally has been ported to GTK3 which was released seeral years ago!
            "Released" is kind of a strong word when it comes to GTK3, seeing how many breaking changes it had with nearly every update.

Comment

Yeah, Gnome cannot compete with Xfce memory-wise, simply because Gnome Sheel needs desktop compositing, which requires rather big render targets to work. On Xfce Compositing is optional.

Comment

Originally posted by frank007 View Post
                In my opinion, Xfce is the only DE.
                You're also the only person with that opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by soulsource View Post
                  Yeah, Gnome cannot compete with Xfce memory-wise, simply because Gnome Sheel needs desktop compositing, which requires rather big render targets to work. On Xfce Compositing is optional.
                  False. Compositing can be lightweight (see compton for an example).

Comment

Xfwm compositor vsync now works, but it's really laggy and also auto-unredirect doesn't seem to work.

Comment

Originally posted by arokh View Post

You're also the only person with that opinion.
                      Only but not lonely.

Comment

Working...
                      X