Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.34 Beta Released - Now Under UI/Feature/API/ABI Freezes

Phoronix: GNOME 3.34 Beta Released - Now Under UI/Feature/API/ABI Freezes

The GNOME 3.34 beta (v3.33.90) release is now available one day early and also marks the point at which the feature freeze is in effect along with the user-interface changes and no API/ABI breakage...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It also looks like the switch from Tweener to Clutter Animations might land, I'm not entirely clued up on how GNOME deals with animations, but I presume this means animations are handled by the GPU a lot better and asynchronously.

The systemd-units are also pretty cool, I don't really need gsd-wacom running if I don't have a graphics tablet plugged in.

Comment

The best keeps getting better !! Looking forward to this release !

Comment

Many bug fixes to GNOME Music.
        About time. I've been trying to like GNOME Music for years, but it rarely runs for half an hour without crashing or using 30 or 40% CPU to play an MP3. Library is only a few hundred MP3 files. *sigh*

Comment

Originally posted by aorth View Post

About time. I've been trying to like GNOME Music for years, but it rarely runs for half an hour without crashing or using 30 or 40% CPU to play an MP3. Library is only a few hundred MP3 files. *sigh*
          I wanted to try it a couple of times, but couldn't find a way to play songs. Can it load anything outside of ~/Music? Not even drag-and-drop worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayShade View Post

I wanted to try it a couple of times, but couldn't find a way to play songs. Can it load anything outside of ~/Music? Not even drag-and-drop worked for me.
            If you're using the Flatpak, by default IIRC it only accesses the XDG music directory you've set. You can change the directory, or override the permissions to access your entire home (flatpak override org.gnome.Music --filesystem=home), though I'm not sure if the latter will work or if it's Music itself that filters it (if so, the former should still work).

Personally, I prefer Lollypop.

Comment

Originally posted by re:fi.64 View Post

If you're using the Flatpak, by default IIRC it only accesses the XDG music directory you've set. You can change the directory, or override the permissions to access your entire home (flatpak override org.gnome.Music --filesystem=home), though I'm not sure if the latter will work or if it's Music itself that filters it (if so, the former should still work).

Personally, I prefer Lollypop.
              I tried the native build, not the Flatpak version. IIRC Lollypop has the same issue.

I feel like the GNOME Apps are a bit of a mess. How mane media players does GNOME need?

Comment

Originally posted by GrayShade View Post

I tried the native build, not the Flatpak version. IIRC Lollypop has the same issue.

I feel like the GNOME Apps are a bit of a mess. How mane media players does GNOME need?
                It's not a bad thing, they each try and do things their own way. I personally use Rhythmbox with the headerbar branch.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                  Britoid Byebye Tweener, hello better animation performance

Looks like they might even land some more performance related MRs.
                  Looks like the Tweener removal stuff got merged.

Comment

Working...
                  X