Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.34 Now Supports Starting XWayland On-Demand

Phoronix: GNOME 3.34 Now Supports Starting XWayland On-Demand

One of the long-time work-in-progress patch series has been realized in time for next month's GNOME 3.34 release... Mutter when acting as a Wayland compositor will allow starting XWayland on-demand, or rather only running it when needed to handle an X11 client/application...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Pretty cool!

Comment

A big milestone for GNOME on Wayland for sure.

Comment

Is it now possible to have a system with GNOME without having XWayland and X.Org Server installed?

Comment

Very cool. I'd also like to see, for some reasonable subset of X11, a library that can replace XLib and run entirely in-process, rather than as an actual server.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Is it now possible to have a system with GNOME without having XWayland and X.Org Server installed?
            I don't know if it is possible to compile mutter and others without x
            But I sow something in code review

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
              uid313 Depends. If you don’t need Xwayland it won’t load.
              Yes, I know, that's what the article said. But I want Xwayland to not be installed on the system.

Comment

I'd consider the fact GDM can after this be started in Wayland without XWayland running a major win for security.

Comment

Great. What about Nvidia and GBM?

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
                    Great. What about Nvidia and GBM?
                    Mr. Jensen Huang asked me to tell you that sane people is supposed to buy hardware that support software they would like to use. Not the other way around.

Comment

Working...
                    X