Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.34 Now Supports Starting XWayland On-Demand

Phoronix: GNOME 3.34 Now Supports Starting XWayland On-Demand

One of the long-time work-in-progress patch series has been realized in time for next month's GNOME 3.34 release... Mutter when acting as a Wayland compositor will allow starting XWayland on-demand, or rather only running it when needed to handle an X11 client/application...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...er-X-On-Demand

Pretty cool!

Comment

A big milestone for GNOME on Wayland for sure.

Comment

Is it now possible to have a system with GNOME without having XWayland and X.Org Server installed?

Comment

uid313 Depends. If you don’t need Xwayland it won’t load.

Comment

Very cool. I'd also like to see, for some reasonable subset of X11, a library that can replace XLib and run entirely in-process, rather than as an actual server.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Is it now possible to have a system with GNOME without having XWayland and X.Org Server installed?
              I don't know if it is possible to compile mutter and others without x
              But I sow something in code review

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                uid313 Depends. If you don’t need Xwayland it won’t load.
                Yes, I know, that's what the article said. But I want Xwayland to not be installed on the system.

Comment

I'd consider the fact GDM can after this be started in Wayland without XWayland running a major win for security.

Comment

uid313 That is very likely to happen on Fedora within a couple of releases. Pay attention to the proposed system wide changes. I guess FESCO would need to discuss it. And they would most likely just wipe x from the default installation and keep it in the repo.

Comment

Working...
                    X