Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another GNOME Improvement Being Discussed To Help With Touchpad Scrolling / Tablets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another GNOME Improvement Being Discussed To Help With Touchpad Scrolling / Tablets

Phoronix: Another GNOME Improvement Being Discussed To Help With Touchpad Scrolling / Tablets

Canonical developer Daniel van Vugt had another busy week continuing to focus on upstream GNOME performance improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is this something that only gnome needed? Or is it something that all desktops could benefit from? It would be interesting if kwin-lowlatency could tackle this.

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post
      Is this something that only gnome needed? Or is it something that all desktops could benefit from? It would be interesting if kwin-lowlatency could tackle this.
      At a quick glance, the code looks really Gnome/Mutter specific. I suppose it just depends on how other window managers/environments are coded if doing that method will benefit them or not.

Comment

Canonical doesn't care about KDE, XFCE etc. they say they support them and they do it very badly, they only care about Gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
          Canonical doesn't care about KDE, XFCE etc. they say they support them and they do it very badly, they only care about Gnome.
          should they care about i3 DWM fluxbox mate lumina lxqt lxde openbox awesomewm and so on too? It's better they fix all the issues with gnome than give us a lot of useless half baked solutions

Comment

I thought Kubuntu was an entirely community driven project? Canonical might be willing to include certain packages in their repos but that doesn't necessarily mean they have support of these DEs.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
              Charlie68 True. But that makes a lot of sense. Ubuntu only need one desktop. Pooling resources is the way to go.
              Not really. Being able to put together your own desktop is one of the best things about GNU/Linux (and POSIX-compliant operating systems in general). There are distributions like Debian, that officially support multiple desktops, and they're falling behind. If they want to do something worthwhile, they should contribute to X.org.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                Guest Your bias is not Canonical’s needs. Canonical need to innovate and compete. That’s very different than distribute more desktops than they can support.
                Since when are their efforts commercial first? They simply don't understand what they're working with, and they are out of touch. Normies despise of GNOME as well, and I've seen them flock to KDE for whatever reason.

Comment

They care a little bit to the degree that they use other desktops to push their semi-proprietary CLA'ed shit. Mate for Mir (making sure they won't adopt fully FOSS wlroots) and KDE for Snap (they sponsor KDE e.V. and then suddenly KDE Neon decided to pursue Snap exclusively and mentioning Snap packages prominently in announcements).

As for this topic: As long as they don't add a way to disable two-finger horizontal scrolling, it's uninteresting.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                    If they want to do something worthwhile, they should contribute to X.org.
                    X.org is dead. Investing in gnome-shell can be seen as some investment in wayland, and thats worthwhile.

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    They care a little bit to the degree that they use other desktops to push their semi-proprietary CLA'ed shit. Mate for Mir (making sure they won't adopt fully FOSS wlroots) and KDE for Snap (they sponsor KDE e.V. and then suddenly KDE Neon decided to pursue Snap exclusively and mentioning Snap packages prominently in announcements).
                    I don't see where canonical pressed the mate guys into mir. I don't even see canonical investing in mir anymore. Mir is also GPLv3, which is for my understanding FOSS.

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    As for this topic: As long as they don't add a way to disable two-finger horizontal scrolling, it's uninteresting.
                    That's a totally different topic.

Comment

Working...
                    X