Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE System Settings Now Shows Basic Hardware/Software Details, Wayland Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

It's probably enabled by default on touchscreen-equipped devices, where it belongs...
    One can only hope

Comment

Hope that fractional scaling lands soon in Plasma, scaling is quite bad on Wayland at the moment. But I do miss some focus on Wayland in general, development seems to be slowed down.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        And as far as I know, KDE doesn't have a virtual keyboard, which is a big omission, IMHO.
        BTW, its possibly a bit moot now, but I wrote viki years ago: not only was it a KDE-specific virtual keyboard but I think it was unusual (unique?) in actually being multi-lingual AND rendered as an on-screen version of your actual keyboard layout, including turning the various LEDs on and off in response to CAPS LOCK etc. [1]

It was also fully integrated into KDE's keyboard layout switching.

[1] One of the many amazing-but-little-known-corners-of-X11 is that it had access to the physical layout of your keyboard...including any LEDs. Stick that in your eye, Wayland!

Comment

Originally posted by motang View Post
          What we need is also a easy way to change the computer (host) name in the System Settings.
          Not that I'm against this, but why is that the first thing that comes to mind? There are so many other things that could use an easy configuration tool and don't have one. To change the hostname, all you have to do is run "<your favorite text editor> /etc/hostname" and change it to whatever you want. It may not be obvious to noobs but once you know it, it would actually be faster to change via a terminal.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
            Hope that fractional scaling lands soon in Plasma, scaling is quite bad on Wayland at the moment. But I do miss some focus on Wayland in general, development seems to be slowed down.
            There already is fractional scaling through both xrandr (x11) (along side the built in UI scaling in the system settings) and kscreen-doctor (wayland). That said, yes, the wayland kscreen-doctor scaling is pretty buggy.

As it stands right now, i don't really want to see the UI scaling in wayland, but rather the full display scaling with kscreen-doctor. Too many applications ignore the plasma fractional scaling options, including steam.

Last edited by Baguy; 05 August 2019, 09:24 AM.

Comment

And as far as I know, KDE doesn't have a virtual keyboard, which is a big omission, IMHO.
              It does infact have a virtualkeyboard as others have already mentioned. It can only be used in wayland however, and it only works in QT applications at the moment. To use it, you just open the system "hidden icons" in the panel, and click on "Virtual Keyboard", and then it will activate on it's own when needed.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

It's probably enabled by default on touchscreen-equipped devices, where it belongs...
                No, it is not. At least not my laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad L380 Yoga).

Comment

skeevy420
                  Vistaus
                  Baguy

I believe I didn't make my point clear. In my view KDE needs a simple virtual keyboard like the ones you find on Windows or Gnome. Easily, readily accessible when you need one, because yours just failed a couple keys or for disabled people.

As a mature, highly configurable and feature rich desktop environment, I find this a big omission on the KDE ecosystem. And by the tips you guys gave, looks like a easy implementation.

Comment

skeevy420
                    Vistaus
                    Baguy

I believe I didn't make my point clear. In my view KDE needs a simple virtual keyboard like the ones you find on Windows or Gnome. Easily, readily accessible when you need one, because yours just failed a couple keys or for disabled people.

As a mature, highly configurable and feature rich desktop environment, I find this a big omission on the KDE ecosystem. And by the tips you guys gave, looks like a easy implementation.
                    It does however in Wayland, like i said. All you need to do is enable it in the task list menu and it just starts working. Yes, it doesn't work for all apps yet (non-qt ones), but after they are done working in other areas such as streamlining the UI and fixing major bugs in Wayland, I'm sure they'll add support for other applications. Also, as far as i know the keyboard is not part of the plasma ecosystem in the first place, but rather the QT one.

Also I'm sure you could always just use something like matchbox onscreen keyboard (used on the raspberry pi).

Comment

skeevy420
                      Vistaus
                      Baguy

While I agree with you, in fairness to the KDE project, touchscreen and mobile interfaces really haven't, from the outside, seemed to have been to be a primary focus of theirs.

Comment

Working...
                      X