No announcement yet.

Xfce 4.14 Should Finally Be Out By Mid-August - Final Testing Now With "Pre3"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfce 4.14 Should Finally Be Out By Mid-August - Final Testing Now With "Pre3"

Phoronix: Xfce 4.14 Should Finally Be Out By Mid-August - Final Testing Now With "Pre3"

Xfce 4.12 was released in February 2015 while finally getting ready to succeed that is the long talked about Xfce 4.14 that is expected to ship this month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GTK3 support... does this mean Wayland will be semi-functional in 4.14? Or will that be 4.16+?

Comment

Originally posted by OpenSourceAnarchist View Post
      GTK3 support... does this mean Wayland will be semi-functional in 4.14? Or will that be 4.16+?
      Hard to tell without actually using it. Their bug tracker doesn't have very much that's that recent when one searches for Wayland and there is no mention of Wayland on any of the XFCE pre release blog posts.

I wish debianxfce could be unblocked for a day. He'd fill us in on everything.

Comment

He'd fill us in on everything.
        No, he wouldn't, since his beloved debian testing has only xfce4 4.12. Even in debian experimental there is only 4.13.6.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          I wish debianxfce could be unblocked for a day. He'd fill us in on everything.
          That's one thing I think I can do without, good sir.

Comment

Afaik they need a working Wayland compositor. GTK allows their applications and DE to run on Wayland, but xfmw4 isn't a Wayland compositor.

Comment

AFAIK xfmw4 needs a rewrite to work with wayland.

Comment

towo2099's unapproved post

Not his Debian Testing with custom kernels and PPAs and whatnot.

Regardless of one's feelings about the guy, he was a reliable source of what's going on in the XFCE world.

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post

AFAIK xfmw4 needs a rewrite to work with wayland.
                  I expect XFCE will probably get ported to use Mir or wl_roots.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    he was a reliable source of what's going on in the XFCE world.
                    There isn't much to say about xfce world

Comment

Working...
                    X