Chrome 76 Released With Flash Blocked By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by numacross
    Do you trust some random person from the internet to build the browser you use for banking?
    My bank "doesn't trust"* web browser built by random person = me (Chromium on Gentoo).

* - ok, just some stupid user agent check for online support chat feature
    Last edited by reavertm; 31 July 2019, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
      Edit. Chromium and derivatives with some sites have problems, which Chrome does not have.
      Sorry? I never thought this was the case?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxad0127 View Post
        Whose browser do you trust for banking? You need to put trust somewhere.
        Official packages from the vendor or distribution maintainers if proper verification can be established (code signing or GPG).

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
          Flash is faster in video decoding then HTML5 based solutions.
          Do you have any benchmarks that show that a flash player can decode a AV1, H.265 or VP9 video faster then a HTML5 player can?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
            block Flash on Apple devices was the turning point to a Flash free Web... Too bad today we still have the same annoying, heavy to load and play, loud and obnoxious, malware packing popups of yore.
            Not only that but today we can not longer block / whitelist the annoying, heavy, obnoxious, and popup producing replacement, HTML5. For years before Apple blocked flash until it became a feature of my browser I ran the FlashBlock plugin. Now that flash is dead, I have no way to block its successor.

So to all those short-sighted people who pushed for and cheered the death of Flash, you won. A standard that just as bloated, just as much a CPU hog, that's actually harder to HW accelerate is now built-in to my browser. I fail to see how this is progress.
            Last edited by slacka; 01 August 2019, 10:41 AM.

Comment

I usually had Chrome installed because of its built-in Flash support. I spent years without a computer and recently set up a system (Fedora 30) and installed Chrome out of habit (I've been using Firefox, mainly). Then I learned about chromium-vaapi in Fedora and I've been using it for Youtube.

So, besides Chrome updating earlier from Google's repo, some eventual Flash content (and that translate issue another poster mentioned), are there any other reasons to keep it?

Comment

Answering partially myself, I see that Chrome has Google Docs extensions that might be useful, and it may be useful to have different video acceleration defaults.

Comment

Working...
                X