Blender 2.80 Officially Released With Its Revamped UI, Eevee PBR Renderer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blender 2.80 Officially Released With Its Revamped UI, Eevee PBR Renderer

Phoronix: Blender 2.80 Officially Released With Its Revamped UI, Eevee PBR Renderer

Blender has used SIGGRAPH 2019 week for announcing the major Blender 2.80 open-source 3D modeling software release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Whoo!! Have to admit, the little fanboy in me is excited!

Comment

They have removed their embedded game engine, too

Comment

I'll wait for 2.8.1 seeing as there are lots of areas still to shore up.

Comment

Originally posted by q2dg View Post
          They have removed their embedded game engine, too
          I'm glad they did this. You have Unity and Unreal and for open source you have Godot ( as Blender mentioned using this instead ). Let Blender stick to their core competency which is making a fantastic 3D tool.

Comment

Is there a reason for it not to be called blender 3? It's arguably one of the biggest updates in its history.

Comment

This version is amazing!

Comment

Congrats to the Blender team !

Such a great open source tool. Now with the stronger funding they have, it can only get better and they said they will focus on source code quality.

Why no v3 ? They have no marketing needs, and now my question: why everyone need so much version number jumps to feel good ?

The road is still long before beating the best commercial packages (performance, procedural workflows and memory optimization are still behind) but if they focus on the quality and performance, they will become a tool of choice.

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
                  Is there a reason for it not to be called blender 3? It's arguably one of the biggest updates in its history.
                  Ton mentioned this in a recent livestream. Originally, 2.80 was not supposed to be as big as it is today, so it would have fit with the 2.80 increment. After a while it became apparent how big of an update it was, but they didn’t want to go against the community and it’s dev momentum/campaigns by changing the version number. I believe 3.0 is planned after the 2.81 release.

Cheers,
                  Mike

Comment

I hope the new UI is easier to use. Blender 2.79 does have a rather confusing UI that's easy to mess up, then I have to restore it to the default UI because I accidentally messed it up somehow. The UI is a bit too customizable too, like you can put anything anywhere, its just gets weird and confusing.

Comment

Working...
                    X